Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tracking a moving object

Status
Not open for further replies.

dion

I wish to start a project whereby I can track a moving object, eg a human. Not only track movement, but also be able to determine the distance of the moving object from tracking device. Range is not more than 20 metres. I am new to electronics, but want to get an idea of the complexity of the solution.

thanks,
dion.

Everybody has seem too many Spy movies, and thinks that this is easy using radios; it is not! The only way that works really well is to put a GPS receiver in the object being tracked, and then to use an RF link to telemeter the GPS derived location.
One old thread

Another

Last edited:
Try an ultra sonic range finder mounted on a servo or stepper motor.
As you move the sensor in a circle you the distance to a reflection in each direction.
You should be able to track a slow moving object.

I doubt an ultrasonic range finder will be able to obtain a usable return signal from a person.

Boncuk

GPS is out of the question. A random object will not be equipped with one. How do bats catch moths?

Dion did not specify how accurate or how fast he needed the system to be.

The system I proposed is somewhat awkward but it should work. I know IR
distance sensors will detect a person and I expect ultrasonic will work too and
with a greater range. There is nothing new here.

Mike I agree, if he is thinking radio you are right. But he was not that specific.

One of the uses would be security. Perimeter security on farms in africa is a necessity. The system would need to identify an intruder based on maybe a heat signature, determine range, and if exceeded, determine range of target, as well as direction of movement(if moving).

One of the uses would be security. Perimeter security on farms in africa is a necessity. The system would need to identify an intruder based on maybe a heat signature, determine range, and if exceeded, determine range of target, as well as direction of movement(if moving).
Sorry but as mike said you have seen too many movies. A system that could come close to doing this sort of think would be very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back