Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Touch control circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack.Straw

I have this idea for an instrument/art project... a touch-sensitive flute organ. The idea requires air-valves that open & close based on weather or not a piece of metal is being touched. I've found a number of touch switch schematics online but I think they are toggles... touch once and the switch is on, touch it again and it is off... kind of like those touch controlled lamps that were popular in the 80's. The circuit I need would work similar, but the switch is on only while the metal is being touched. Is that possible?

Thanks for your time,
-Scott

Why not use an off (on) pushbutton switch?

If you don't want a switch, I think two wires being bridges by the finger can provide enough to switch something if the voltage is amplified.

WBI.. i'd like it to be touch sensitive, not a mechanical switch. Looking around i found reference to a touch/proximity IC... QT113 by Qprox, but I can't find it for sale anywhere. That sounded ideal though... any ideas in the IC department?

Depending on how many touch keys you require, one of the easiest ways to do what you require would be with a micro controller with built in touch functions and i would recommend you have a look at the Picaxe 18m2 chip as it has up to 10 touch inputs allowed and very easy to use.

Pete.

The QT range of ICs are now obsolete. How many keys do you need in total??

Iv done quite a bit of work using Capacitive Touch for a project im working on so i might be able to suggest something practical.

cobra1, anywhere between 8 and 12 would be ideal.

SABorn, thanks for the suggestion... i'm checking out the Picaxe 18m2 datasheet now

thanks for your time & help!
-Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back