Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Totally lost. Need some help with ID'ing parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie101

Hi there,

I'll start with saying that what I know about electronics components would not fill a paragraph.

I got a large box of Mallory pieces and I've done googl searches on the numbers to try to figure out what they are, but I don't know what to call them to even do a good search. I've determined that many of them are disc capacitors.

So, I'm wondering if some kind soul would tell me a bit about these, like what they are called and the basic area of electronics they are used for, so that I can go and do some more searching that will help me identify them more accurately.

I've never posted a picture here (I'm really not an idiot, just out of my element :) ). Here's a try with one, and if it works, I'll post a pic of examples of the other things in the box.

Thanks VERY much for any help!

Attachments

• capsilverE106K1.jpg
    capsilverE106K1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 181
  • capsilversprague3001.jpg
    capsilversprague3001.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 162
Good, that worked.

I have a lot of the spiked doohickeys. The boxes are labeled "tab mount" "convergence" "flange mount" "P/c mount".

Thanks again!

Attachments

• capyellow2.2uf1.jpg
    capyellow2.2uf1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 155
  • capyellow120K1.jpg
    capyellow120K1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 164
  • capyellow.22mfd.jpg
    capyellow.22mfd.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 155
  • cappurplesprague1.jpg
    cappurplesprague1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 167
  • capyellow.0221.jpg
    capyellow.0221.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 160
  • malloryflangemount1.jpg
    malloryflangemount1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 165
  • mallorytabmount1.jpg
    mallorytabmount1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 149
  • mallorycapacitor.jpg
    mallorycapacitor.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 145
Oh, one more that is packed in bags but has no writing or anything on it.

It has rainbow stripes--- a capacitor too?
thanks!

Attachments

• caprainbow.jpg
    caprainbow.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 164
Oh my god! seems like a museum. Since awhile i didn't see some of those capacitor. I can't believe they're going to work after all these years... :eek:

Sorry but, you should trash them... or open a museum ;)

POST#3: yup it's a capacitor. you read the color from the top to the bottom. It use the same chart as the resistor. The first 3 color are the value, the 2 last the tolerance.

Last edited:
The caps in POST 1 are probably OK. I still use the "tons" of .1uF electro caps like that, that I have. Got them 15+ years ago.

POST 2 and 3.. Old.. Spikey things are maybe variable resistors (POTS) or something Nigel can throw when he works out :)

Hi, newbie 101

You can check out the spiked doohickies by following the attachment below:

AllVol

Last edited:
Nice AllVol :) ..

newbie101.. Set it to OHMS, maybe 20K range, and turn the screw and see if it the meter changes.

Are you getting into Electronics? Or did someone give you a grab bag of parts?

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I couldn't figure out how to get back to this thread.

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! You've been so helpful.

A friend bought a lighting business and there were boxes and boxes of electronic parts filling the shop there. I have no idea why, but I grabbed a box when he offered. They've been tucked away for about 2 years now and I came across them again the other day.

Thanks again!

And thanks for the visual, Allvol. :)
There might be a meter around here somewhere and I'll do just what you suggested.

Everything except the purple electrolytic is probably fine. That electrolytic may have dried up, and no longer be useable. The rest are actually prety high quality parts from respected makers, Cornel Dublier, etc.

mramos1 said:
The caps in POST 1 are probably OK. I still use the "tons" of .1uF electro caps like that, that I have. Got them 15+ years ago.

POST 2 and 3.. Old.. Spikey things are maybe variable resistors (POTS) or something Nigel can throw when he works out :)
Mike, I think the left cap in post 1 is a 10uF tantalum. Look closely - I think it reads 106K (10uF), not 104K (0.1uF). I don't know what the shelf life is, but I haven't seen tantalums like that in about 30 years. They may not be that old, though.

Good eye, it is a 10uF tantalum.

Some Mil spec parts are still made "old school" and look like that. but from the rest of the collection I wouldn't be suprised if the lot is 30 years old.

Tantalum caps, if they don't get wet inside, generally last many many many years. There is a ton of telephone equipment out there with those types of tant's inside, doing yeoman's duty 24/7.

Hey Ron..

Yep, you are right, I clicked the picture.. 106K for sure.. They look like the .1uF and .01uF I have, same can and everything. I had no idea they were tantalums (so used to seeing the dipped ones). I picked up a few bags of them probably 15+ years ago and still have a lot of them.

But they seem to work fine. Guess I better check the shelf..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back