Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

totally ignorant

Status
Not open for further replies.

barn324

Hi, I'm just starting with PICs and know absolutely or nearly nothing, so I have come to seek help. My question to start with is: is MPLAB enough to program asm files, convert them to hex format and write them on my PIC if I have a programmer? Or do I need something else? I have an Indian made programmer you have probably never heard of, and I'm not even sure it works with PICs other than the 87XX series, but I have to give it a try...Anyway, really looking forward to some answers here!
Cheers
Barn

MPLAB only works with Microchip produced programmers.

MPLAB only works with Microchip produced programmers.

Yes, MPLab only supports Microchip produced programmers. However, I have yet to find a programmer - professional or hobby - that does not have software provided, or built-in, or just recommended for best operation.

MPLab will output the hex file so that you can use your programmer to write to the device.

If you do not have a programmer for your preferred device then search the threads in this forum for designs and software.

All i's dotted & all t's crossed. :lol:

MBPLAB Programmers

Just so you know, you do NOT have to have a programmer produced by Microchip for it to work with MPLAB. There are many programmers available that work as good or better than the PicStart Plus programmer.

The New Found's Warp13A and the Olimex MCP work very well under MPLAB.

Cool! I tried finding such a programmer and had no luck. Guess I looked in the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back