Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

total noob seeks help making a simple on/off timer circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

julius_A

hello.

Totall noob here. I know how to solder and could tell the difference between a resister and a capacitor, but have no idea how to connect them together properly and or choose correct specs.

I'd like to make a small circuit that switches on for maybe 0.5 second and then waits maybe 5 minutes before switching on again. If these could be adjustable and/or randomised that would be even better. Ultimately this would result in a physical movement and I'm guessing the simplest/ cheapest option would be for the circuit to switch on/ off a small electric motor (but let me know if there are other options). Ideally running from a small cell battery (button)(1.5V).

any help gratefully received! Or point me to the right place.
Julius

Welcome,

The button cell can run the timer, but no way is it going to move a motor.

How about **broken link removed**

even a tiny motor? it doesn't need any heavy lifting!
There are button cells, and then there are button cells. Tell us more about what you want to do...
Do you have a motor in mind? If so post a link.

thanks Mike. I'm making a load of cardboard owls that will be weighted so they perch on horizontal beams in a barn, and along wooden tree branches.
I thought it would fun if I could make them move, so my idea was to have a small circuit that switched on a tiny motor for a very short burst every so often. The motor could cause the owl to wobble by shifting the centre of gravity, or by pushing downwards on one side of the perch to tilt the owl to the side.... any better options happily received!!

Solenoids require a huge amount of energy for each stroke. No way with button cells.

Tell us which motor, and we can suggest timer circuit and suitable power source. Based on your description, button cells are not a requirement. Use 4 AAA, AA, or C cells, and you will get somewhere. Possibly, a 9V Alkaline cell...

Two things wrong with it...

8000 rpm (you would need a gear-train behind it to create your desired movement)
Current required 0.35 to 0.4A (that is C-cell territory, even too much for AA's.

Button cells are typically 1.5V to 3V, so you would need to stack some... C-cells are 1.5V, so you would need to stack 4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back