Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toshiba L305D Laptop no lights, and unit will not power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

calipag

No lights, No power/ New battery, New charger cord and new power socket

I've had this laptop for about 2 years and about a 3 months ago the power cord stopped working. I ordered a new one and things were good for about a month, then the battery wouldn't hold a charge so I ordered a new one and things were happy again. About 2 weeks went by and everything just stopped working as if I had no power to the laptop at all. I check the cord again with a meter and it checked OK. I noticed the power socket on the side of the laptop was pushed in so I thought that was the problem and I repaired that. I know I have power going to that socket and into the computer but from there it's a mystery to me.

I have NO lights at the bottom of the laptop indicating a charge or any sign that the laptop has any power going to it but I know it has power going into the laptop.

Please, please help with this! It's driving me crazy!

Thank you a head of time for the time to respond,

Matt

toshiba laptop

check for bad soilder conection, short or noise from psu. If so, perhaps MOBO has a short.

The problem is likely an open circuit protector (pcb fuse) in the charging circuit on the board, particularly if the laptop had a dodgy battery causing heating. Another possibility is that the dodgy charging socket centre pin has burnt an internal pcb layer connection, this used to happen with amazing regularlity with Packard Bell's in particular, but also on Tosh on occasion. Or as has already been mentioned, the socket is shorted or a solder splash has been placed on the board accidentally. It's also a possibility that you have a short on the mainboard, but I think that's remote.

Look for the simple things first, check that you have your power rails up when the charger is plugged in, if not trace from the power source (socket) until it disappears. If all apears ok and no components have failed, then remove the RAM, Hard Disk, DVD, Processor and Screen and try again, if the rails come up, then refit each module one at a time to eliminate the faulty components. Methodology is the key to good fault finding. Make notes of your results so that you can refer back to them if you need to change your approach.

rgds

toshiba laptop

hello dude, look what I found. happy laptop.

Attachments

• toshiba_equium_l300d_satego_l300d_satellite_l300d_l305d_pro_l300d_[ET].pdf
    13.2 MB · Views: 400
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back