Torque/moments in dynamics

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I'm trying to understand the dynamics of my system a little better so I thought I would ask for your views on the principles.

I have a 3 part system, it is 2 metal parts glued and and held together by a pzt part. Part 1 is attached to a wall for example with a gentle clamp, so it can move but not fall off. Part 2 is free to move either up or down. The pzt has a voltage applied which makes it vibrate up or down.

The purpose of this system is to get part 2 to move up or down as much as possible. I have 3 options,

Position 1) Place the pzt central to part 1 and 2.
Position 2) Put more of the pzt on part 1
Position 3) Put less of the pzt on part 1

Which would you pick and why?

Thanks.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• 2S.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
I would chose position 1.
In this configuration, there are equal fixing areas between the pzt and the metal parts, I see no advantage in having a greater area on one part or the other.

However, not knowing the structure of your pzt, I cannot comment on how the bending of the pzt will be affected by gluing to a metal bar which is presumably stiffer than the pzt.
I anticipate that the total defelecton of the free metal part will be less than you expect.

JimB

That is interesting. I have looked at torque and it depends on the the force applied and the distance from moment/clamping point. So I was leaning towards position 3 - in moving the pzt more across part 2 there would be more pulling power upon it acting up and down and it would have greater length from the clamping point/moment. The deflection will be small, its around 5 micro meters per volt, so it helps to have high volts.

Thanks for your comment

You keep refering to torque.
Torque is a turning moment, such a twisting in a shaft which is turning and transmitting power.
I don't have the big picture of what you are trying to do, but I don't see how torque is relevant here.

JimB

I think torque is the wrong term to use. I am making the system in the picture, in that I've ordered the pzt, it is 19mm x 12mm x 1.5mm. Now I need to order the metal which means deciding what dimensions I need. I'm looking for advantage and to get the best movement of part 2 by placement of the pzt.

My thought is something like this - the force required to produce displacement is less at F2 than F1, so if I move the pzt towards F2 I will get displacement with less force. The force produced by the pzt is proportional to the volts applied, so I'm looking to use fewer volts.

Thanks.

Attachments

• S6308711.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 470

Your thinking is all screwed up!
What you have written would be true if you were trying to bend a cantilevered beam, but you are not.

You have a cantilevered beam which supports a PZT.
The PZT "bends" creating a deflection at the end of a second beam which is supported by the PZT.

Can you post a link to this PZT?
I do not understand how it is physically configured.

JimB

I get it, so actually your first thought put the pzt over the middle was correct!

I can't post a link because its not off the shelf stuff, it has to be specially made.
Regards,

Antknee.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…