Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Torque estimate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rngd

Hi,

I know this isn't a mechanical eng. forum, but I wanted to ask because many of you surely have a lot experience in using servos/motors in your projects.

I have a solar panel screwed onto a shaft which connects directly to a servo motor shaft. How much should the torque rating of the servo be to be able to rotate it ? I mean an estimate of the minimum torque required. The panel weighs 0.8kg plus a few grams for the solar panel holder (made of perspex). No gears are used.

I would need the servo shaft to rotate a total of about 135 degrees, rotating a few degrees every hour for eight hours (It will operate like a stepper, stepping during each hour). The speed of rotation is not important, as long as it rotates. The panel's length is 32cm and height is 18 cm. It is a solar tracker.

There will also be another servo to rotate the round base.

A rough diagram is attached below.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC00305.JPG
    DSC00305.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 153
There are two equations that you will find useful

1. T = I * alpha

This is the rotational equivalent of Newton's second law ( F = ma ). In this case T is torque, I is the moment of inertia, and alpha is the angular acceleration in radians per second squared.

2. T = Kt * i

This relation says that a motor will produce an amount of torque equal to some constant Kt which is a property of the motor times the current going through the windings.

It should be reasonably easy to find the formula for the moment of inertia of a disc,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

which will of course be an approximation of your system. Looks like Iz = (mr²)/2 After that you need to find the Kt for your motor and then you can pick a current that will give you an alpha that you require to move the platform.

Last edited:
Papabravo said:
There are two equations that you will find useful

1. T = I * alpha

This is the rotational equivalent of Newton's second law ( F = ma ). In this case T is torque, I is the moment of inertia, and alpha is the angular acceleration in radians per second squared.

2. T = Kt * i

This relation says that a motor will produce an amount of torque equal to some constant Kt which is a property of the motor times the current going through the windings.

It should be reasonably easy to find the formula for the moment of inertia of a disc,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

which will of course be an approximation of your system. Looks like Iz = (mr²)/2 After that you need to find the Kt for your motor and then you can pick a current that will give you an alpha that you require to move the platform.

You forgot to mention the influence of wind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back