Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toroidal Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvz

hello guys.. i need help about toroidal transformer calculation. WHAT IS THA FORMULA? is it the same for power transformer formula using E.I core lamination?:)

Last edited:
Yes. The basic formulas are the same, but material constants change and there may be a gap, even of you can not see it.

Hi there,

My favorite cores where toroids and a while back i wrote a program to
calculate the turns of wire that would fit in the core window of a toroid
and actually draw it to a file also. It's kinda cool to see this drawn out
so here's a picture of a core filled to the max with 1080 turns of wire.

Part of the goal in designing a toroid transformer or inductor
is making sure the turns will fit in the window area.

Attachments

• NEWBIM1080.gif
    NEWBIM1080.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,210
Last edited:
Yes. The basic formulas are the same, but material constants change and there may be a gap, even of you can not see it.

how about the core area of the toroid? how to calculate? unlike the E,I lamination is very simple to calculate just multiply L and W

Hi there,

My favorite cores where toroids and a while back i wrote a program to
calculate the turns of wire that would fit in the core window of a toroid
and actually draw it to a file also. It's kinda cool to see this drawn out
so here's a picture of a core filled to the max with 1080 turns of wire.

Part of the goal in designing a toroid transformer or inductor
is making sure the turns will fit in the window area.

is it necessary to fill in the entire core window of a toroid or it depends upon the calculation of the number of turns

What are you trying to do?

As far as the calculations are concerned it is far easier to get a toroid that has the current rating that you need for one of your coils and hand wind on the shorter winding of a transformer. You will not be able to get a safety rated transformer with out special wire, but you can readily get a functional one.

Dan

What are you trying to do?

As far as the calculations are concerned it is far easier to get a toroid that has the current rating that you need for one of your coils and hand wind on the shorter winding of a transformer. You will not be able to get a safety rated transformer with out special wire, but you can readily get a functional one.

Dan

i am trying to wind a toroid transformer for my audio amplifier the transformer ratied at 800VA 220v primary 40v-0-40v center tap at 20 ampere. by the way, what is the ideal flux density for toroid core transformer?

i am trying to wind a toroid transformer for my audio amplifier the transformer ratied at 800VA 220v primary 40v-0-40v center tap at 20 ampere. by the way, what is the ideal flux density for toroid core transformer?
Well that depends on the core material and can not be simply stated.

I tend to think you would be better off just buying a transformer as stuff that size is not readily available. Do you already have a toroid?

Dan

Well that depends on the core material and can not be simply stated.

I tend to think you would be better off just buying a transformer as stuff that size is not readily available. Do you already have a toroid?

Dan

no! i dont want to buy.. i want to learn, i hav already the toroid core which measures of about 4.5 inch OD my problem is on how to select the proper or ideal flux density for toroid and also determining the area of toroid

I agree with Ubergeek63. You need first to know what the core material is. How did you determine that your 'core' is a magnetic material intended for 50/60 Hz transformers? Determining the cross sectional area is possible with simple geometry.

Your target of 800VA may be impossible with a core of only 4.5 inches OD. It all depends on the material.

I agree with Ubergeek63. You need first to know what the core material is. How did you determine that your 'core' is a magnetic material intended for 50/60 Hz transformers? Determining the cross sectional area is possible with simple geometry.

Your target of 800VA may be impossible with a core of only 4.5 inches OD. It all depends on the material.

yes thats true it is impossible. the toroid i have in hand is made if thin sheets rolled to form a toroid.. so, what do you think is the best application for a toroid with a 4.5 OD? maybe i just try lowering the VA suited for that size... could i use the same formula as it was in E.I core lamination? what is the ideal flux density for a toroid core. because in my E,I core lamination i only used 1.0T

no! i dont want to buy.. i want to learn, i hav already the toroid core which measures of about 4.5 inch OD my problem is on how to select the proper or ideal flux density for toroid and also determining the area of toroid

I would suggest you just buy a toroid for the job, winding a toroid isn't a trivial procedure, even if you manage it, it's likely to be mechanically noisey.

hello,

the ideal flux density for a toroid is from 1.6T to 1.8T while the E,I lamination is limited only to 1.2T- 1.4T. what is your core material made of?

hello,

the ideal flux density for a toroid is from 1.6T to 1.8T while the E,I lamination is limited only to 1.2T- 1.4T. what is your core material made of?

the core i have is made of silicon steel, it measure of about 11.2 cm OD., 7.2 cm ID., 5.7 cm Height

Hi again,

The electrical calculations for a toroid are the same as for any other
core. The calculation for the core area is a little different of course
because the shape is different, however it's the same idea: you
simply calculate the cross sectional area.
To do this, recognize that the core has an inner diameter ID,
outer diameter OD, and height H.
The width W is calculated from W=(OD-ID)/2, and having now the
width and height we can calculate the cross sectional area:
A=W*H.
That's it.

The magnetic characteristics of a core depend highly on what
material it is made of and vary widely from as low as 100G to 20kG.
The only way to get this information is from the manufacturer or do
some electrical tests on the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back