Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toroidal transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishape

I am making up a power supply for an amplifier I intend to make. I thought I would use an toroidal tran. It is a 230/115, 160va, 48v on secondary to be used in a parallel form so as to get two 24v leads. It will be parallel on the primary also which will use the 115v supply. My question is where do I get the neg. for the secondary as four of the secondary wires are jumped so as to use the parallel circuit. I have used a regular tran. that was center tapped and the central wire being neg. made it easy. On the sec. of this tran. it has four wires , black, orange, red and yellow. Bk. to Or and Red to Yel. gives me the two 24v leads. Help on the neg.? Thanks, IA

Are you using the 24VAC to make a rectified and filtered +32VDC and 0VDC? Then there is no negative voltage.
Maybe your center-tapped transformer also made a rectified and filtered positive DC voltage and 0VDC with no negative voltage.

Your transformer data sheet will tell you the color code for the wires. I don't know that there is a standard for the color code, so check the makers data sheet. But to answer your question about the center tap, you connect the wires of the right color together for a center tap.

I am making up a power supply for an amplifier I intend to make. I thought I would use an toroidal tran. It is a 230/115, 160va, 48v on secondary to be used in a parallel form so as to get two 24v leads. It will be parallel on the primary also which will use the 115v supply. My question is where do I get the neg. for the secondary as four of the secondary wires are jumped so as to use the parallel circuit. I have used a regular tran. that was center tapped and the central wire being neg. made it easy. On the sec. of this tran. it has four wires , black, orange, red and yellow. Bk. to Or and Red to Yel. gives me the two 24v leads. Help on the neg.? Thanks, IA
You use a 4 diode full wave bridge rectifier to get your negative. Like this;

The four-diode rectifier circuit shown to the right serves very nicely to provide full-wave rectification of the ac output of a single transformer winding. The diamond configuration of the four diodes is the same as the resistor configuration in a Wheatstone Bridge. In fact, any set of components in this configuration is identified as some sort of bridge, and this rectifier circuit is similarly known as a bridge rectifier.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I am using a bridge rectifier to obtain the dc v. Your explanation sets me on the right track and I thank you gentlemen for the help. IA

It sounded to me like you were looking to make a + / - supply using your transformer. This would go better if you better explained exactly what you want the output to be and had a link to the transformer data sheet.

While the color scheme is not the same note the dots on the attached images, if you want a dual + / - supply it would be wired per the attached last image. This assumes you want a dual supply, if not the previous schematics are what you want.

Ron

Ron, I have been trying to upload a page of the tran I am using but am not good at this either. But according to triads wiring it can't be done the way your last schematic shows. I do want two 24v +/- alright but they show the wiring as being jumped from blk. to Or. and red to yrl. leaving you with the two ac leads to go to the rectifier but no neg. It can be wired either series or parallel and of coarse I want parallel

OK, it finally sunk in. I didn't know you could use series like that. It goes along with a lot of other stuff I don't know. Thanks a lot for the help. IA

I didn't know that you are making a plus and minus power supply because you said you were connecting the secondaries in parallel.
In series, their connection forms a center-tap.

48v on secondary to be used in a parallel form so as to get two 24v leads.
If you have a 48 VAC secondary winding with a center tap, ground the CT and connect the top and bottom transformer secondary lines to the FWB and that will give you +/- 30V DC unregulated with respect to ground.

Last edited:
This is one of the problems with being a virgin at this electronics, we don't phrase our questions right. But anyhow you people have me lined out now and I appreciate it. Maybe someday I can pass it on. IA

This is one of the problems with being a virgin at this electronics, we don't phrase our questions right. But anyhow you people have me lined out now and I appreciate it. Maybe someday I can pass it on. IA

:) Just a learning curve at work. Sometimes many of us try to "guess" what you are after, sometimes we answer questions with more questions till we all seem to understand each other.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back