Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toroidal Transformer Fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

angie1199

Hi,

I've got a toroidal transformer from another circuit which is 230 - 12V and I need to fit it to use the 12V. What I'm unsure of is fitting it. There are two copper wires coming from the primary and two other wires from the secondary.

Question is do I need any other components before the transformer or do I simply wire the two primary copper wires to the AC plug socket via a 5A fused plug?

angie1199 said:
Hi,

I've got a toroidal transformer from another circuit which is 230 - 12V and I need to fit it to use the 12V. What I'm unsure of is fitting it. There are two copper wires coming from the primary and two other wires from the secondary.

Question is do I need any other components before the transformer or do I simply wire the two primary copper wires to the AC plug socket via a 5A fused plug?

That's all you need, although it's usual to have a fuse in the live lead near the transformer as well.

Nigel Goodwin said:
That's all you need, although it's usual to have a fuse in the live lead near the transformer as well.

Thanks Nigel, I'd spent four hours searching for some image showing that my intuition was correct but couldn't find anything other than 'use a toroidal....' or 'buy a toroidal...'

Build your project in an insulated enclosure, if it's a metal box then connect the earth wire to the box and don't allow the fixing bolt through the transformer to contact the metal enclosure at either end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back