Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toroid Core ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
I have a ferrite (?) toroid core that is approximately 17mm O.D. x 10mm I.D. x 6.7mm high. It is grey with a smooth, epoxy-like coating and was purchased at a surplus store. It has an identifier number on it: 2D10-55115-A2-2. That number in Google simply finds the surplus store from which I bought it. The store has no other information. Alldatasheet and Octopart do not show it. PartMiner shows the number, but again no information.

Does anyone recognize that numbering system as being characteristic of any manufacturer? And against all hope, are there any simple ways to approximately identify the type of ferrite used in a particular core? Thank you. John

If you had a network analyzer you could characterize it yourself, but they're kind of expensive, although I suppose you could rent one.

Try Amidon or Pulse Engineering, but if you got them from a surplus dealer the numbers are probably untraceable inhouse or OEM part numbers.

It looks like one by "Magnetics" listed in this x-reference as 55115-A2:
**broken link removed**

Thank you both. The Arnold site is particularly informative and helpful. John

I suppose, depending on your application, you could build a simple transformer, and with a signal generator and an oscilliscope you could get some idea if the datasheet and the part match up.

The Arnold site actually gives some simple characterization procedures using only an oscilloscope, signal geneartor, and a few passive components.

As for the part I have, the color, partial part number that corresponds closely to the measured size, and observed inductance point to the fact the the "ferrite" is probably a Molypermalloy Powder (MPP) toroid made by Magnetics. In fact, the calculated turns for the measured inductance of my test coil is a little too close. I intended 400 turns, the calculated value is 395 turns. I can't count that accurately! John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back