Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tornadoes in Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.o.

Just heard the news that many tornadoes to cause over 50 people dead in Tennessee. Does anyone see a real tornado and still surve?

I saw a wimpy one once. Did some tree and building damage, but didn't hurt anyone.

t.o. said:
Just heard the news that many tornadoes to cause over 50 people dead in Tennessee. Does anyone see a real tornado and still surve?

Yup. A hurricane is much worse, except you can see it coming far in advance. I remember when I was little once playing on my driveway and this little 8-10 foot high, 5 foot wide funnel thing of dust spun up from the ground for about 20 seconds or so then dissapeared.

I have seen whirl winds before. They are actually kinda cool. I chased it on my bicycle, but couldn't quite catch it... I have never actually seen a tornado, though.

A tornado did take our barn, though. I think i was like 8 or 9. Maybe 10? Of course, i didn't see it. We were in the basement. :p

They touched down about 80 miles from here. Not sure what the total death toll is yet, they're still searching through the ruins. We had some wind damage here but nothing bad. About 2 years ago we had two touch down in our county, 3 dead, and several houses destroyed.

mvs sarma said:
PAINFUL \ and feel sorry for the loss of life and damages.

Thank you for your kind words. I live in eastern Tennessee, so the tornadoes were far from me although we did get an inch of rain from the system.

gerty said:
They touched down about 80 miles from here. Not sure what the total death toll is yet, they're still searching through the ruins. We had some wind damage here but nothing bad. About 2 years ago we had two touch down in our county, 3 dead, and several houses destroyed.

I feel sorry about the dead and their families. Did the authority give out any warning before the tornadoes happened? How do people re-act on such warnings.

Here tornado watches are kind of a joke... When we see the spotters out, then we get more alert.

t.o.
They posted weather warnings most of the day, problem is, nobody can predict if, or where they'll touch down. Sometimes there are too many warnings and some people tend to ignore them. There is a television show
'Extreme Home Makeover' and they built a new home for a family, not too far from here, whose mother was paralyzed while protecting her children (she covered them with her body). That happened after the storm 2 years ago.

t.o. said:
I feel sorry about the dead and their families. Did the authority give out any warning before the tornadoes happened? How do people re-act on such warnings.

Your question about warnings raises an interesting issue. We have warning sirens in most of our cities, some are left over from the cold war days. When I lived in Minnesota in the 1970s, the sirens went off one night and like most people, we went to our basement, as is recommended for tornados. Unfortunately, it was just a very heavy thunderstorm, and the warning was for flooding, not a tornado. As I recall, a couple of elderly people in a nursing home were trapped. Officials changed the siren pattern after that for flooding vs. tornado, but I would bet many people don't know/remember the difference. John

I live about ten miles from one touchdown and about a mile from another. I spent a lot of time during the storm in my basement (without power). Advanced warning of the tornadoes came from as little as a few minutes to as many as sixteen minutes from television and radio sources. Amateur radio, local emergency (fire, police, etc.), and weather spotting networks had a far faster response.

The pictures say it all.

**broken link removed**

More information at the bottom of this page:

https://www.wunderground.com/US/TN/Centerville.html

The only thing to be glad about is that the population here is spread out. As far as I know, no one was killed from this bout of tornadoes in this (Hickman) county.

Many homes were left without power for extended periods of time. Roads were blocked with debris in the tornado areas and tree limbs in others. High winds and hailstones caused damage to property.

I was not affected nearly as much as some, only experiencing the loss of power and a few incoveniences from closed roads the following day. It certainly could have been worse for all of the involved in this area.

My sympathies goes out to all those across the five states whose families lost members or property.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back