Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tool supplies in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

panic mode

hi everyone,

my supply of drill bits is going down and i would like to get some more collets.
where can i buy some? i've checked local hardware stores but none carry small things like 0.4, 0.6, 0.8mm drill bits or appropriate collets. i see plenty of those on internet like Amazon.com etc but most (including Amazon.com) don't ship to Canada. Places like Mouser and Neward want $11 for each bit (they only have ones with wider shank).
there must be some place here to get this. GTA is huge and there is zillion companies...

any tips?

Can't help on the drill bits. I bought a thousand re-sharpened carbides on ebay and was the only bidder :)D).

For the collets, can you be more specific? Is it for a Dremel or other? What type of spindle do you need it to fit? That is, is it an ER-xx collet or something else?

John

hi John

just went to another Sayal branch and they did have some bits (well they have plenty of big ones but those i can get anywhere). the smallest ones with 1/8" shank were #69 and #65 so I bought them.

they also found one set of standard micro drill bits, same as this:
https://www.amazon.com/20pc-MICRO-D...190C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312589592&sr=8-1

as for collets (I use Dremel), this is pretty much what i am after:
https://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Mic...KU/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1312589665&sr=8-31

Last edited:
With Dremel, I think you are stuck with Dremel collets or its 3-jaw chuck -- at least from a practical standpoint.

John

Dremel makes no chuck or collet for anything under 1/32" or 0.8mm.
in fact they only make 4 collets (item 4485 but can also be purchased individually) and one chuck(4486).

One solution is to use 3rd party collet or microchuck. There is plenty of jeweler's tools and i just need to find distributor.
Hardware stores don't deal with little things but there is tons of hobby stores. Several are close to me so I will check them tomorrow.

thank you all. i just returned from stroll through hobby stores and got everything.

Credit Valley Railway is one of the closer ones (www.cvrco.com) and they had micro chuck, collets etc.
i picked two mini adapter chucks by Gyros (45-01801):
**broken link removed**

they sell some electrical products too (soldering irons, capacitors, switches etc.)
although focus is clearly on train models.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back