Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

toner transfer with silicone impreg paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes me laugh. I use el-cheapo inkjet paper and it works just fine. about a nickel a page. And aligning the two sides is very easy, especially with a homebuilt light table (great for lots of other projects).

As for etching seperately, why? once you can align the artwork for the two sides, etch all at once. If you use opaque media, just cut the art out to a fixed border, mount them on thin paper and align that way. This isn't rocket science.

By the way, I would NOT drill prior to transfer.

I ain't exactly Mr. Super Etcher or anything, but I have to say I started on PnP Blue and just found that the ironing temp/time was too sensitive for my taste. When I did get it just right, it worked really nicely, though.

From my experience:

PnP Blue:
o Nice results, when you get the ironing just right.
o Expensive (hobby shops here sell it at around $4 CDN/sheet).
o Easy to peel off after the ironing.

No-name glossy photo paper:
o Cheap as all get-out.
o Super easy to iron; just crank the iron all the way up and give it around 4-5 minutes.
o Harder to remove. I soak the board in warm water with a drop of detergent in order to soften it up. After about 10 minutes, 90% of the paper peels off, and you are left to thumb-rub or q-tip (gently) the remaining paper fibres and weird plastic layer off. This is a pain, but not too much of an issue for me since I usually time it so that I can do the rubbing while watching some hockey.

I wouldn't recommend doing much drilling before etching, and certainly not on pad holes or vias; that just lets the etchant seep through the holes and attack the inner edges of the copper.

One day I want to mod an old Laserjet (although maybe I'll start with this old C64) to just print directly to the PCB, although I have yet to find a local supplier for Mispro inks.

Advice from a relative noob; take it for what it's worth!

Torben

Magazine paper:
All the advantages of no-name glossy photo paper plus it's a free waste product.

Another good thing about press 'n' peal is (or so I'm told) is it fills in gaps where the toner is thin on the ground.

Hero999 said:
Magazine paper:
All the advantages of no-name glossy photo paper plus it's a free waste product.

Another good thing about press 'n' peal is (or so I'm told) is it fills in gaps where the toner is thin on the ground.

Ah yes! I keep meaning to try this but I haven't had a project that needs a PCB since I decided to try it. Maybe I'll just try a transfer this way tonight during the game to see how it works out for me.

Torben

Hey Torben,
Where abouts are you in BC?

I know the Canadian shops are expensive. I've been buying mine at R&P for around $2.30 Can.
https://www.rpelectronics.com/

Still expensive, but for the time and hassle it saves me, worth it. I don't have a lot of good to say about shops in Canada, in general, though. There is one I really like; ever been to Lee's Electronics on Main Street?

I do agree, Hero, magazine paper is hard to beat, but I am getting better results with the pulsar stuff. I think the green foil would improve the magazine paper as well. It covers the toner, and fills holes.

BeeBop said:
Hey Torben,
Where abouts are you in BC?

I know the Canadian shops are expensive. I've been buying mine at R&P for around $2.30 Can.
https://www.rpelectronics.com/

Still expensive, but for the time and hassle it saves me, worth it. I don't have a lot of good to say about shops in Canada, in general, though. There is one I really like; ever been to Lee's Electronics on Main Street?

Hi BeeBop,

I'm up by Kingsgate Mall. I normally go to Lee's or Main Electronics, both of which I quite enjoy. I've been told about R&P but as I understand it's down in Richmond and sadly my truck's transfer case is currently shot.

I do agree, Hero, magazine paper is hard to beat, but I am getting better results with the pulsar stuff. I think the green foil would improve the magazine paper as well. It covers the toner, and fills holes.

Haven't ever tried the Pulsar stuff, but maybe when I do enough etching to wear out my thumbs from rubbing I'll give it a shot.

Torben

Naw, it's over in Burnaby. I'm way out in Richmond. You must get the P&P from Main, then? Haven't been in there in a while, as I usually shop at Lee's, but perhaps I should give them another look. I just find Lee has better selection, well a bit better.

BeeBop said:
Naw, it's over in Burnaby. I'm way out in Richmond. You must get the P&P from Main, then? Haven't been in there in a while, as I usually shop at Lee's, but perhaps I should give them another look. I just find Lee has better selection, well a bit better.

I've got it from both places and can't remember which place charged what. Normally I'll just compare between Main and Lee's since they're only about 20 meters apart. :) IIRC, however, I was in a hurry and just wanted to run in and out (probably had my wife with me--she finds little less interesting than a components shop).

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back