Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toner transfer using aluminum foil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasamiko

Hi,

I've seen somewhere else (forgot the link) they are using aluminum foil sandwich with some rubber and paper to transfer toner to copper clad board..

By passing a high current supply to a piece of aluminum sheet it will heat up the paper with toner and transfer it to copper..

Anybody has a link or idea maybe?

TIA

Even heating would be a problem, perhaps an aluminum plate, I doubt foil would work, less complicated methods work better.

Even heating would be a problem, perhaps an aluminum plate, I doubt foil would work, less complicated methods work better.

It was sandwich with rubber and some paper with weight..

ok I found the site..

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Hope the picture speaks for itself..:D

I just can't figure out the supply used to heat the foil..

Anyway link for the full article in Russian..

https://www.ruqrz.com/?p=3089

I'm doubtful as well, given that laser printers and copiers use high voltage and electrostatic fields to cause the dry toner powder to transfer to the paper. I've had excellent results using wax paper however, but it needs taped to conventional paper due to extreme limpness.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/diy-toner-transfer-paper-cheap-and-easy.94601/

You should not doubt the result..:D

**broken link removed**

more detailed infos here:

https://www.ruqrz.com/?p=2817

Last edited:
Impressive results. Thanks to Bing translate here is my understanding.

The aluminum foil is used as the heating element. The toner transfer is essentially the same as standard. If you use wax paper, then use wax paper here. The sandwich is constructed to allow (as claimed) an even heat. Particle board is used, presumably because of its insulating properties, and there is an embedded temperature sensing device that allows manual control of the power via the Variac to give controlled and reproducible temperature. Electrical contact to the aluminum foil is made by aluminum bars clamped on both ends. The applied weight is static -- that is, there is no moving around of the pressure points.

The power supply is made with a Variac (aka, variable autotransformer) controlling a home-built, low-voltage, high-current transformer. Output is claimed to be 105A at 1.1 VAC. It looks a little a microwave transformer with a re-wound secondary, but the article mentions 200W, so that is a bit small for modern microwaves. Transfer temperature is 70°C, which seems a little low, but that is at the sensor in the particle board. The actual temperature at where the transfer is happening is probably higher.

I find use of kitchen aluminum foil as a heating element in this manner is interesting.

John

edit#2: I believe the author used multiple secondaries in parallel to get the high current needed. Others who use microwsve transformers just use heavier wire.

Last edited:
much more complicated than my regular iron..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back