Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tone Control Pot reccomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering which one of these (attached) tone circuits would be the better- I also have a 10k and a 100k linear pots reccomended for volume and tone respectively, from Rod Elliots website. Is this the sort of thing I want?
I know that audio pots should be log, but Rod seems to know what he's talking about and I like the designs of many of his projects.

On a side-note, I want to mix two audio channels-- I can just paralell them together with 47k resitors in-line, right?

Thanks for your time, and I'm going on yr 10 camp, so its gonna be cool and I'll be back on tuesday to have a look.

Attachments

• 18watt-schem.gif
    18watt-schem.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 358
  • moonlight-scheme.gif
    moonlight-scheme.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 356
  • swtc3.gif
    swtc3.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 317
  • tone2c.gif
    tone2c.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 324
  • tone2f.gif
    tone2f.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 354
screen shots of signals from tone ctr.

here are 2 different shots of 2 different tone circuits using TINA circuit simulation prg
free from TI
you decide which one ??

Attachments

• tone1.GIF
    tone1.GIF
    87.5 KB · Views: 274
  • tone2.GIF
    tone2.GIF
    82.3 KB · Views: 227
Nigel- it is going to control the tone of a small signal beign fed into a 20W amp. the volume & balance controls will be seperate to any volume pot shown ont he schematics posted.

I basicly just want to know which circuit is a better design for a basic, evenly adjusting tone control.

So far I'm going with a 10K volume pot- is that an OK choice?

Last edited:
mike11298 said:
Nigel- it is going to control the tone of a small signal beign fed into a 20W amp. the volume & balance controls will be seperate to any volume pot shown ont he schematics posted.

Wasn't quite what I meant! :)

But why not use 'proper' tone controls, a baxendale active treble and bass system - like almost everything does.

I basicly just want to know which circuit is a better design for a basic, evenly adjusting tone control.

So far I'm going with a 10K volume pot- is that an OK choice?

It depends entirely on the source and load impedances for the control.

well i had a look at the baxandall controls, and i liked the response I saw on the graph, but.... I require it to only need a single pot to adust the tone of a stereo signal, and so I couldnt find anything suitable.

mike11298 said:
well i had a look at the baxandall controls, and i liked the response I saw on the graph, but.... I require it to only need a single pot to adust the tone of a stereo signal, and so I couldnt find anything suitable.

The passive circuits you posted require stereo pots as well - you can't use a single gang pot to adjust two separate channels.

I'm not trying to. I'd be using two of the passive circuits previously posted, both using the same DUAL gang pot.

Anyway, I've have a look at the "Big Muff" Tone control circuit on a 'tone stack calculator' from Duncan's amps, and I think thats the one. I'll be trying it this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back