Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toggle Switches - 12v Query.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkChap

Good Afternoon,

I am looking to build a small stainless steel panel with a several toggle switches which will be used with in a car 12v system. The switches will be set out in the following method:

1x Toggle Switch - For use of switching internal car speaker system on/off
1x Toggle Switch - For use of switching external car speaker system on/off
1x Toggle Switch - For use of switching external lightbar on/off
1x Toggle Switch - For use of switching external amber warning light on/off

Additionally to the above I would like to include an LED lamp which will come on when anything is switch on except for the car internal speakers where an LED lamp will come on when they are switched off.

I would welcome best way's of achieving the above. Car speaker cable has both positive and neutral on one cable so I would welcome thoughts on how to wire the toggle switches.

Thanking you all for any assistance in advance.

Chris :)

Hi and welcome to this great forum.

A circuit diagram of what you are trying to do would help a lot.

Hello, Thank you for your quick reply. I am afraid I am not technical enough to dray a circuit diagram. It was an idea I had but I am unsure how to do it. I am sorry for the unhelpful reply.

No problem. I leave it to the Pro's here. Maybe one of them has already built what you are attempting....

Last edited:
To turn an individual speaker on and off, all you need to do is wire the switch in series with it - it's that simple.

An LED requires a resistor in series with it to limit the current otherwise it will blow up, for 12V, use a 680R resistor.

Your verbal description is very confusing because it isn't clear how you want the switches to control the lights.

You can get double pole switches which are just two switches, in one package, operated by one lever. If you need to switch two things at once, they're your best bet.
**broken link removed**

Thank you for your reply. I will aim at writing a better description if that is OK? Hopefully it will make life easier. 'Hero999' thank you for your message I believe the switch you described is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks once again.

Chris.

Hello once again,

I hope this new description will assist to clarify my earlier description.

Toggle Switch 1 - On position will allow the stereo to play sound to the car speakers. Off position will stop audio to the speakers. When this is in the off position an LED should illuminate. This toggle will be used on normal speaker cable to live and neutral.

Toggle Switch 2 - On position will allow sound from the stereo to pass to the external speakers. Off position will stop audio to the speakers. When this is in the on position an LED should illuminate. This toggle will be used on normal speaker cable to live and netural.

Toggle Switch 3 - On position will pass power through to a lightbar on the roof. Off position will stop power to the lightbar. When this is in the on position an LED should illuminate. This toggle will be used on 12v car power cabling.

Toggle Switch 4 - On position will pass power through to a warning light on the roof. Off position will stop power to the warning light. When this is in the on position an LED should illuminate. This toggle will be used on 12v car power cabling.

If you need very clarification please let me know. Additionally if your able to provide Rapid Electronics part-codes that would be great.

Thanks again.

Chris.

Most of that's pretty self explanatory, the only difficult bit is getting the LED to turn off when the switch is on but that can be fixed by short circuiting the LED with the switch, see attached.

Another option is to use a DPDT switch and wire the LED to the opposite contacts.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• Speaker LED switch.PNG
    Speaker LED switch.PNG
    551 bytes · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back