Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

To multiplex or not to multiplex, that is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakie

I have 64 LEDs in an array. Using 2 mux, I can turn on any LED I want using arduino. Doing this quickly will make them all appear to be on. Simples...

My concern is that when turning these on/off will cause the LEDs to flicker in brightness because in between each scroll through the LEDs I will need to do other processing.

Got any ideas on how I can stabilise the brightness of the LEDs? I was thinking about using a second chip who's only purpose would be to scroll through the LEDs turning each on/off as appropriate. But... I am using the RX and TX pins already so communication with the LED chip would be an issue... also extra cost.

Is there a funky trick I don't know about but should? Or is multiplexing the best way to handle 64 LEDs?

The pin turning on the LEDs is one of the PWM pins. Do you think I could time the delay between each scroll through the LEDs and change the pulse width accordingly? (I bet this would have some nasty sums even if it were possible)

Thanks
Guys

Simply use a timer interrupt to do the display multiplexing, microcontrollers run so fast it's no problem at all to do lot's of other things while transparently refreshing the display.

Simply use a timer interrupt to do the display multiplexing, microcontrollers run so fast it's no problem at all to do lot's of other things while transparently refreshing the display.

Perfect :) Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back