Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

To make a home alarm project by a PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablome

Iv heard many trying to use a PLC to control an alarm for a house or any sort of place. I was wondering what components or good references there are(design, circuits etc. and if worth trying). I don't want to make it too complicated since the PLC will be either micrologix or SLC, maybe PLC500 or any suggestions?

A PLC for a house alarm???

Unless you happen to be in possession of a PLC, (and want to learn how to use it for example) I would rather use a PIC or any other µ controller available on the market.

Do you have any idea what a PLC costs vs. the cost of buying a PIC? And it doesn't end there! You would most probably need to buy additional to the PLC hardware (i.e. the CPU, power supply, I/O cards etc.) the software to programme the PLC (Ladder, function block, Structured text editors etc.) and then to put the cherry on the top, most PLC suppliers today sell their products with I/O licenses as required (usually in batches of 100's or 1000's)

In South Africa, what you want to do will cost at least R 30,000.00 for everything mentioned above. (That's about $3,000.00 USD). I bet for $30 you can do the same with a PIC and some discrete components.

In the other section of the board you wanted to control a washing machine with a PLC.

Why dont you combine the projects and have an alarm for the washing machine just in case someone takes a fancy to your nice clean clothes?

JimB

Now that every one is done peeing on you I thought I could be of help.

For basic PLC or PLR control systems check out B&B electronics. Its where I get all of my PLC and PLR controllers. The ones I use are typicaly the Teco SG2-20HR-D units.
24 volt dc input, 8 relay output 8 high low inputs and 4 analog inputs. Plus expandable just by adding more blocks.they have LCD sreens and basic keypads built right on them. They also carry 120 vac input versions and analog output units as well.

The software is free online and easy to learn too!

The price is very reasonable. A PLR with computer link cable will set you back less than $200. They are very easy to work with for basic control experiments or dedicated logic controled devices.
Hope this was more helpful.

For the doubters of complete PLC/PLR sytems for under $200 check out

bb-elec.com

I am not lying! I buy from them all the time. Their Teco PLR software is apsolutley free too! You just might take that PIC stuff and toss it when you see what the real world already has waiting for you, WITH warranty!

Basic ladder or logic symbol programing, expandable to up to 44 input/outputs with combinations of (8 amp isolated) relay and analog input/outputs.
24 volt DC or 120 volt AC powered, Standard backlit 4 line LCD, AND on unit keypad!
direct serial port connection (adapter line needed of course)to and from your computer right from the front on all models, or several network connetion format models are available too!

It took me about one good day to learn there ladder logic system, its that easy.

The picture is of my digital boiler controler system that uses one.

Attachments

• DCP01218.JPG
    DCP01218.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 780
Last edited:
A PLC for a house alarm???

Unless you happen to be in possession of a PLC, (and want to learn how to use it for example) I would rather use a PIC or any other µ controller available on the market.

Do you have any idea what a PLC costs vs. the cost of buying a PIC? And it doesn't end there! You would most probably need to buy additional to the PLC hardware (i.e. the CPU, power supply, I/O cards etc.) the software to programme the PLC (Ladder, function block, Structured text editors etc.) and then to put the cherry on the top, most PLC suppliers today sell their products with I/O licenses as required (usually in batches of 100's or 1000's)

In South Africa, what you want to do will cost at least R 30,000.00 for everything mentioned above. (That's about $3,000.00 USD). I bet for $30 you can do the same with a PIC and some discrete components.

I understand your concern for cost effectiveness or maybe speed of some equipment. But I already have a micro controller for a windmill sort of project. Just using dc motor coupled by blades and want to read the power and speed of wind and switch chargin of battery on off depending on the voltage.
PLC are very rugged usually though and I was thinking of getting them used. So only a few hundred dollars at most.

In the other section of the board you wanted to control a washing machine with a PLC.

Why dont you combine the projects and have an alarm for the washing machine just in case someone takes a fancy to your nice clean clothes?

JimB

no their just two components that I want to see if I can or what I can accomplish with the PLC.

Now that every one is done peeing on you I thought I could be of help.

For basic PLC or PLR control systems check out B&B electronics. Its where I get all of my PLC and PLR controllers. The ones I use are typicaly the Teco SG2-20HR-D units.
24 volt dc input, 8 relay output 8 high low inputs and 4 analog inputs. Plus expandable just by adding more blocks.they have LCD sreens and basic keypads built right on them. They also carry 120 vac input versions and analog output units as well.

The software is free online and easy to learn too!

The price is very reasonable. A PLR with computer link cable will set you back less than $200. They are very easy to work with for basic control experiments or dedicated logic controled devices.
Hope this was more helpful.

For $200 (R2000) I too will then consider using a PLC. The best part is the free programming software. ABB has the AC800 PLC/DCS range. The very bottom of the range (I think the Freelance) is also an all-in-one type PLC unit, but they (ABB) and SIEMENS and all the other BIG house PLC suppliers do not sell the programming software for free, and as I've mentioned before, the I/O too needs to be licensed, and that's usually at one hell of an expense. Nothing a common household hobbyist can afford (like me now:))

Here in South Africa, there's not really a market for small type PLC's as you’ve mentioned. (Mainly because home automation here is not such a big issue) I've never heard or seen (apart from myself) anyone else automating their home lights, garden irrigation, swimming pool timers etc. Here people just go with what's available on the market. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying those people aren't out there, it's just, I've never met one. Very sad indeed: :mad:

World wide commerce is the number one way to put corporate greed under control.
How long will your customers stick with you when it costs a pile of cash every time they need to upgrade or do some basic change?
When they can dump your system and get newer, more user friendy, and more functional with the same or better quality at 1/10 the price!

B&B electronics was really thinking when they put the programing for the basic PLR line on the internet for free!
Let prospective customers down load it, design and simulate there system on it. If it fits what they need, Instant customer! That s how they hooked me!

I worked with industrial PLC systems for years, and had to get training and resertified every time any company I worked for got a new machine with a slightly different control system.
Had I known about these sytems I know my former employers would have booted the big boys right out the door!

They may not fit everyones needs but they do make prototyping and adding basic logic control to anything a whole lot simpler and more practical!

World wide commerce is the number one way to put corporate greed under control.
How long will your customers stick with you when it costs a pile of cash every time they need to upgrade or do some basic change?
When they can dump your system and get newer, more user friendy, and more functional with the same or better quality at 1/10 the price!

B&B electronics was really thinking when they put the programing for the basic PLR line on the internet for free!
Let prospective customers down load it, design and simulate there system on it. If it fits what they need, Instant customer! That s how they hooked me!

I worked with industrial PLC systems for years, and had to get training and resertified every time any company I worked for got a new machine with a slightly different control system.
Had I known about these sytems I know my former employers would have booted the big boys right out the door!

They may not fit everyones needs but they do make prototyping and adding basic logic control to anything a whole lot simpler and more practical!

I can’t agree with you more ;)

The companies I work(ed) for are the BIG ones in South Africa (Eskom, the Power Utility company) and Anglo Platinum. These boys DO have the money to go for the big names i.e. ABB/SIEMENS/HONEYWELL etc. Typically the number of I/O also ranges from 4000 upwards per project. Obviously these boys have the normal Control Rooms with plant operators managing and running the plants via SCADA/HSI.

That's where I come from when talking about a PLC or DCS. BIG STUFF. When someone wants to use a PLC for a house alarm (what the original post was about) it just goes over my head why someone would want to do that. Nothing wrong with wanting to do it, but to me it's about the cost. Your solution falls more into the everyday domestic and small business owners needs. Very Very good news for our SI's here. Now there's something else available at a fraction of the cost that does 101% what the customers usually require. Great

I was hoping someone would see this and think about it. If your a big corporation with a ton of stuff to monitor then you definitely need the big gear.

But if your more like me then its far different.

Why pay $500 for a pool filter timer when you can put a PLR on it for far less and have way more function and control over it.
Its why I used one for my own boiler control system. With 8 relay outputs and 8 line level inputs plus the 4 analog inputs its still over kill. But I have high good repeatable accuracy.
Plus once I wrote a basic wide range function program it can actualy figure out what the BTU content of it current fuel its burning is and adjust to it automaticaly.
From garbage to high grade coal and anything in between it can find that ideal burn rate so it burns clean!
Granted it took an entire winter to revise and adjust to program to get to that point!

Last edited:
I would like to add a card swiping or a password reader in the HMI program if not hardware with the PLC system.
Like punching a pic code to disable the alarm or a key swipe to unlock a door.
Can I and if so, implement that into the PLC, such as HMI or hardware.

And what would make this a good alarm system, consisting of?...temperature sensors? movement sensing? braking circuit switches, for breaking and entering? or can i use small motors or so to open or close blinds, the door.

Around here we just leave one of these set up in the garage. Never even lock the door!:eek:
Someone comes by thinking they want to steal something, finds the open garage door and sees this.
Would you still want to go in the house univited and find out what he has there? :D

Attachments

• Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 357
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 345
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back