Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

To kill a RFID...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Will putting my new chip encoded credit card in a microwave oven a few seconds kill it ? I prefer not to punch a hole by the chip area.

Will putting my new chip encoded credit card in a microwave oven a few seconds kill it ? I prefer not to punch a hole by the chip area.
The easiest way would be to loan it to my wife for 1/2 hour.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Why? What do you figure you gain by disabling the RFID system?

Are you trying to create a work of art, Dali style?
Dali.PNG

Well, microwaving will be. No electronic circuit should survive such. Hope the magnetic strip will stay healthy.

Digital pick pockets
Now thats clever! never thought about that, I can feel a new project coming on with an arduino and shield :p

Hmmmmm.........

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes I think the microwave will erase the mag strip to.

There are devices that supposedly protect credit cards. I bought two "Signal Vault"s (after seeing it on Shark Tank). Sounded good. An RFID like device meant to scramble the "protected" cards' response to a reader.

Unfortunately, just watched this:
Soooo, apparently, the "Vault" cards don't work as advertised. USD$30 down the tubes.

The card protect sleeves DO seem to work, but what a pain to have to have one for each card and also deal with un-sleeving and re-sleeving every time you use it.

Does not appear to be a convenient protection scheme available yet.

Simple answer if foil stops it like in the sleeves then get a foil lined wallet (or make and sell one, I get 24%). In the real world you got to get pretty close and I can see the risks. But what about a vogue postman? they can spot a credit card letter a mile off and have access to cards all the time, ours drives a van all day and covers a large area. Would be easy to spend the lunch break in the van with the mail and a card reader :D.

Just applied for a job as a postman! Anyone willing to give me a good reference :p. Actually what would worry me more is the phone one, those with google wallet and all the other banking stuff on the phone, I have a friend who can unlock any password protected phone. I bet you wouldnt want him finding your lost phone :p

The chip is supposed to make it more difficult, when the readers are configured properly. Besides the card data, they contain a processor that generates a one time transaction code. If that code is used more than once, the transaction is rejected. Stolen cloned cards will not work. However, if the reader has EMV disabled -well you saw the results.

Read more about it here.

interesting info thanks, to me the bigger threat is the actual details, most online shops etc dont need much information. And I am pretty sure you could switch off or control the reader with a decent smart phone. I am kind of interested in a odd kind of way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back