Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

to fuse or not to fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
This hasn't turned into a valve vs. transistor argument, has it? Oh, well, since it has, I s'pose I'd better get my twopennorth in.
For sound reproduction, you need to get as close to the original sound as possible. Use solid state.
If you ARE the original sound, do what sounds good. This usually means valves, and a certain amount of overdriving, giving a nice mix of harmonics.
Overdriving solid state amplifiers gives rise to a different harmonic mix, a lot of high harmonics and abrupt transitions, tending to sound more like filing a bit of steel sticking too far out of the vise.

Who uses transistor amps for the 6 string guitar in creating Rock music? Even in recording old tube preamp sections from Studer, Neve ect are highly sought and paid for to "warm" up digital check fleabay

Why pay extra for inferiour valve amps when a superiour solid state amp is 100s times better?

If you like the distortion there are cheap circuits you can add to a solid state amp to emulate the valve sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back