Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

To build a speaker for deep bass

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataul

hi frinds

I am decide to build a speaker for beep bass but!! the enclosure will be not big in size. driver size maximum 5 to 8 inch i don't know which design is sweet able for deep bass.i hear folded TL is good. is it true? i prefer little broad spectrum punchy bass.is it possible to build a 1/8λ TL as same bass quality as ¼λ or ½λ TL? in our country many variety of driver is available.but they may not premium quality all tho i build my need. if any body have good design with small size u can share your experience with me to help to build a good enclosure.

ataul, good luck.
I think I have to build a pair of new enclosures for my 3" drivers for a deep bass. I go through the Fostex enclosure for double bass reflextion with double chamber design. Wanna giv it a try n I've to stick on either 3" or maximum of 6" drivers. which means getting punching effect from small ones enclosed for optimum performance. Didn u hear about creative gigaworks series - all without affecting the hearing at low frequency.

A 6" speaker is too small for punchy bass. A 3" speaker is a joke and even if it has a complicated double-bass reflex enclosure its lowest frequency is only 100Hz which is not deep bass. The cheap no-namebrand speakers will not match the specs for the Fostex-designed enclosure and might sound boomy.
The enclosure design (sealed or ported) must match the T-S spec's of the speaker.

There are many good speaker enclosure design programs available. I used Boxplot to tweak some speakers where I used Pioneer 8" woofers in pre-made enclosures that were too small for them. Boxplot showed the best size of port and with a little bass boost the bass is very good. But you must have the T-S specs for the woofer which is on its datasheet.

Audioguru is currect. a 3inch driver never delever punchy bass. but using a wave guide enclosure or a long transmission line enclosure give u a image of deep bass.you can feel it and enjoy but not true bass and need more power and some equalizing in bass frequency.
any link for free speaker design softwere, audioguru ?

Last edited:
actually i Mean transmission line enclosure.it generally long tapered tunnel behind the driver . u can see in the wave side and understand more about this.
i give u a formula to help to design for your TL enclosure

λ=v/f λ= wave length of meter
v= velocity of sound 330x0.85m/s
f= the resonant frequency of woofer. Your spkr probably 120Hz

so λ= 330x0.85/120
= 2.33 meter
so your driver resonate maximum in this length and fill the tunnel with some long fiber absorbent to lowering the resonant frequency with trial and error as your test.

Last edited:
I started on building a deep base speaker for my home theather about 20 years ago. I aquired a 18 or 24 inch speaker for the purpose. The wife got a new kitten and it craweled throgh a hole in the box holding the speaker and ruined the cone.

Think big.

The sub-woofer in my car is 10" in a ported enclosure and its amplifier is 128W RMS.
It has extremely deep and powerful bass.

Some guys at diyAudio.com - audio projects by fanatics, for fanatics have made speakers with 4" and 5" Fostex full-range speakers in pretty big transmission line enclosures and they say the response is down to 50Hz (but at only 5W or 10W).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back