Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TO-220 socket for perfboard / bread board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ormo

Hi,

I am using LM3886's in a project of mine that will be constructed on perfboard. They are packaged in an 11-pin TO-220 package which does not fit the pre-drilled holes in the perfboard. As this is a small prototype getting a PCB printed is not an idea solution (however it may advance to PCB in the future).

Can anyone suggest a socket that can be used to adapt TO-220 packages to the usual DIP pin spacing? Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Edit: I would prefer to buy in a shop or via eBay, I am based on the UK and my main parts shop is Maplin. I have spoke to an employee there; he couldn't recommend anything but I'm not sure he understood the question.

Last edited:
I've had that problem before - it's .067" spacing on 10 leads, which presents a problem for prototyping.

Here's what I did, and it happens to fit your "eBay" solution constraints and uses the LM3886...

**broken link removed**

Hi duffy,

Looks like a good idea, but I've already got some of the components and I'm the kind of person that likes to build everything from scratch. I was hoping to find some kind of socket or adapter, but I think I might just get a little bit of blank PCB and drill the holes myself (ok... get my friend who studies engineering to drill the holes for me)

Why does E-Bay say class-A for the class-AB LM3886 amplifier?

Haha.... just noticed that a Google search for "TO-220 board" gives this thread as the third result already

Why does E-Bay say class-A for the class-AB LM3886 amplifier?

They probably just short all the pins out and use it as a big pull-up resistor in series with a mosfet driver. :D

Last edited:
Not when you put a heatsink on it! See how it's designed to mount to a heatsink? Stops the magic smoke from getting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back