Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tire Checker Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacecar

My friend has a tire checking device that was homemade. It is simple looking, consisting of a small circuit board with a cable (6') going to a wand. Inside the wand is a coil similar to a small tesla type coil. When operating properly the device is turned on and the wand is moved inside a vehicle tire to find holes in the tire before the tire is repaired. Ther will be an arc from the wand (several inches)to the hole or nail or whatever is in the tire. It's a neat trick but unfortunatley it no longer works. Has anyone had any experience with such a device. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The guy that built this unit is no longer around.

I have never heard of or seen such a device. Sounds kinda dangerous! If a tire has a nail or screw stuck in it, and is off the rim, simply wiping a rag around the inside will usually find the object (sharp point will snag the rag)

If the tire is mounted on the rim, coat it with soapy water, you'll see a mountain of foam form where the air is coming out.

Safer and simpler:)

they are called violet wands i think? just pull apart a cheap plasma globe, they have a similar circuit in them:)

HarveyH42 said:
High voltage and soapy water... interesting combination.

The soapy water method requires no voltage at all;)

What about a small metal detector?

Tire Checker

things said:
they are called violet wands i think? just pull apart a cheap plasma globe, they have a similar circuit in them:)
Thanks Things for the info, I will check it out. Glad to get a serious responce.I didn't realize there were so many out-of-touch funnies on this forum until I read some of the crazy replies. It makes me wonder how some of them even know when they have a flat.

It makes me wonder how some of them even know when they have a flat.
When I have a flat, I rarely repair the tire. When I'm on the freeway I just don't want to risk a second failure.

Sure, some people drive in places more likely to cause a puncture, and might also not be able to buy new tires every time. Even so, is that tire likely to still be mounted, where soapy water is more appropriate? More likely this electric tool would be used to reclaim discarded tires.

Many punctures will only open under pressure, so finding them by hoping for an arc to navigate through them when the tire is off rim seems rather hopeless. A metal object in the tire is usually easy to find, as is glass or similar.

Theres a reason garages still have the dunk tank for tires, or atleast soap spray. Simple and effective is generally best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back