Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tipping bucket rain gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabiB

I need help for tipping bucket rain gauge. How does it work and how many ways to design bucket rain gauge?

Last edited:
Hi,

Is this for a class project or hobby or commercial?

I would think you can start with a balance beam arrangement with a container on one end and a counter weight on the other end. Have you ever designed a balance beam?
As the container gets more and more full, the weight eventually tips the beam to near balance and a detector could activate a solenoid or something to tip it the rest of the way and empty the container, and one 'unit' is counted. Each 'unit' could be adjusted by moving the counter weight.
Just an idea.

Novalynx can supply a variety of weather-related sensors, specifically the tipping bucket rain-gauge devices you're talking about.

Here's a link to Novalynx

i have been asking to design tipping bucket rain gauge. The Calibration involves adjusting screws in the raingauge that control the tip angle , and therefore adjust the volume of water in the bucket before tipping.

Changing the pivot point on that tipping bucket is a little tricky, I can think of several other ways I would do it first. For instance, use the smallest bucket you can and make adjustments in software. Or, increase the collection area with a funnel, and then mount a sliding shutter over it.

Hi,

As i said in my last post, a sliding weight would adjust the mechanism. A cheap lead screw through the weight and slotted end (like a long bolt) would mean you can adjust it with a screwdriver.

From what i gather he is not looking to buy one, but build one himself.

I prefer this version
View attachment 61688

and this is an inexpensive implementation.
https://www.edcheung.com/automa/rain.htm

If you are connecting the unit to a micro controller or PC the easiest way is to use the software to adjust calibration rather then any mechanical method.

At one time there was a pattern to fold the bucket on the web but I did not find it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back