Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TIP41/TIP42 H bridge with arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

warrad

i try to design an h bridge to drive 24 v / 5 amps motor(for a wheelchair) and connect it to arduino , i design a circuit and attached it with this post , i use TIP41/TIP42 and 2N2222 transistors in my design and i use these data form the data sheet :

HFE for the TIP41=15
V(BE) = 2 V
and for the 2N2222
HFE = 30
V(BE)=2.6
are these data correct ???
and this is the schematic...
Capture.PNG

in addition i need to just control the direction of rotation with no speed control

with thanks

:eek:;)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,163
Last edited:
hi W.

What purpose do Q3 and Q4 serve, they are always turned ON.

E.

thanks for you E.
if Q6 turned on then Q1 will turn on too,thus the current will take the bath of Q4 , and the same is applies on Q3...

thanks for you E.
if Q6 turned on then Q1 will turn on too,thus the current will take the bath of Q4 , and the same is applies on Q3...

hi W,
I see that.:D

But Q3 will be On and Q6 current will flow thru Q3.???

oops ... you are right ... i will modify the schematic ... thanks a lot but abut the calculations of the resistors and the value i used from the data sheet its correct ??

oops ... you are right ... i will modify the schematic ... thanks a lot but abut the calculations of the resistors and the value i used from the data sheet its correct ??

hi,
Regarding your calculations, as they are incomplete its not easy to say they are right.

A point to note:
You have Q6 and Q1 as emitter followers.

This means the emitter of Q1 to the motor can never rise above 5V - [2 *0.7V ]... thats assuming the arduino is outputting 5V.

Each emitter of Q1 and Q6 'loses' a 0.7V drop. OK.??

As Q1 and Q2 are being used in emitter-follower mode and you don't have a level-shifter stage between the Arduino and the all-NPN H-bridge the maximum voltage applied to the motor (ignoring the fact that Q3 and Q4 will shunt current to ground) will be the Arduino output voltage (5V) - Q6Vbe - Q1Vbe = ~3.8V.

Edit: Eric's post crossed with mine (again!). We're obviously thinking along the same lines.

thanks for all ... i look in the circuit and i will do some modification and re post it a gain >>> thanks for you a gain :eek:

thanks for all ... i look in the circuit and i will do some modification and re post it a gain >>> thanks for you a gain :eek:

Just a quick tip - to use the transistors as switches (which is what you want), the outputs should be from the collectors, NOT the emitters.

For an example of a small H-bridge for a little robot with full description, check my website here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back