Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tip care

Status
Not open for further replies.

patroclus

I always try to keep my tip clean. So, when I tin wires, for example, quite a lot of solder remains in the tip. I usually clean it with a dump sponge.
If left half a minute, tip starts to get darker, so to avoid this, I melt some solder on it. But sometimes I need to do very accurate soldering, like SMD points, or reapiring tracks, so I can't have much solder on the tip.

Am I doing things right? How could I improve?
Thank you.

patroclus said:
I always try to keep my tip clean. So, when I tin wires, for example, quite a lot of solder remains in the tip. I usually clean it with a dump sponge.
If left half a minute, tip starts to get darker, so to avoid this, I melt some solder on it. But sometimes I need to do very accurate soldering, like SMD points, or reapiring tracks, so I can't have much solder on the tip.

Am I doing things right? How could I improve?
Thank you.

Basically wipe the tip immediately before you use it, NOT when you replace it on the stand.

Is your iron temperature controlled?.

The iron I was using till now it is fixed temperature 14W.
Now I got a soldering station so I can set temperature from 100ºC to 400ºC. I suppose lowering temperature will help ?

patroclus said:
The iron I was using till now it is fixed temperature 14W.

No, it's not 'fixed temperature' there's no temperature control at all, so it gets too hot when not in use, this is the main cause of the tip changing colour.

Now I got a soldering station so I can set temperature from 100ºC to 400ºC. I suppose lowering temperature will help ?

Set it for the temperature you need, the control system will keep it fairly constant.

Hiya Patrolus,
Eh mate all I use is a stainless steel scourer I pinched from the kitchen. So simply and it works a treat.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan :D

patroclus said:
Nigel, wouldn't it be better to lower temperature a bit??

I suggest you set it to the temperature that works for you, too low and you might have trouble soldering - but normal soldering temperature doesn't discolour the bits.

Hi Patroclus,

I use the same:
Hiya Patrolus,
Eh mate all I use is a stainless steel scourer I pinched from the kitchen. So simply and it works a treat.
but I put my scourer (are they called 'Chore Boy?') into a small tuna tin, and it works really well. Just punch the tip into the pot a couple of times, and your tip is good to go.
Just have a stroll down the kitchen stuff, and find a stainless steel scouring tool. They are made of a flat wire, and clean soldering tips very well.
Regards,
Robert

patroclus said:
wouldn't it scrath the tip?
I just use a dumped soft sponge that came with my soldering stand

I wouldn't suggest using an abrasive cleaner on the tip, even a mild one like a scouring pad - modern tips are usually plated (Antex ones have always been!), and it would damage the plating and eventually wear through it.

BTW, I've just bought a new soldering station at work, as the 24V internal controller ones I've used for years are no longer available - I've bought the Antex 660 TC soldering station https://www.antex.co.uk/. I've currently got it set to 275 degree C, which seems to cope happily with either leaded or lead-free solder.

The best tip I believe comes from Nigel "wipe the tip immediately before you use it, NOT when you replace it on the stand." But if that does not work for you it could be a small oxidization build up. The best way to resolve this to use a light abrasive material to scratch off that oxidization. In actually this is not harmful for your tip, providing it is done in small doses and with the proper material (i.e. emery cloth). Anything to abrasive such as sand paper and files should NEVER be used. If the tips you use in your iron are expensive or you just do a lot of soldering and run into this problem frequently I would suggest investing in a tinning block.

I reckon emery cloth would eventually wear the tip out thats wht I use the stainless scourer. All I do when the tip gets hot is give the tip a light wipe thru the scourer and the tip instantly becomes freshly tinned. By the way I use an iroda gas soldering iron and have done for years as I find them comfortable to hold and a quick change of the tip it becomes a heat torch for heatshrink etc.

Cheers Bryan :D

Afeter using my new cartridge for an hour or so, a black "ring" appear. It's the first time I see something like this. Do you find it normal??

I used it at 300ºC, and clean it with a dumped sponge (and destiled water, the one used in car battery)

Attachments

• punta.jpg
    punta.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 446
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back