Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tinyTesla kit for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks interesting but I don't think it's available yet.

Looks like around Oct 2014 they will be available.

While Tesla coils have fascinated electronics enthusiast for years (I built one as a kid in '63) I will admit I do not see them as a good entry point into electronics. The Tesla Coil and theory behind it are just a little advanced for an introduction to electronics. I am not saying don't get one, only that I don't see one as a good start. I would look for kits where basic DC theory is applied which amounts to EL 101 at the college level.

Ron

Looks like around Oct 2014 they will be available.

While Tesla coils have fascinated electronics enthusiast for years (I built one as a kid in '63) I will admit I do not see them as a good entry point into electronics. The Tesla Coil and theory behind it are just a little advanced for an introduction to electronics. I am not saying don't get one, only that I don't see one as a good start. I would look for kits where basic DC theory is applied which amounts to EL 101 at the college level.

Ron

I agree with you, Ron. I am an avid Tesla Coiler, but I really don't recommend them for learning about electronics in general. My recommendation would be to get the Learning Lab from Radioshack, or something like it. The price may seem a bit steep depending on your budget, but I can guarantee it'll be worth it: https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3814337

That will allow you to breadboard all sorts of circuits, and eventually you can work your way up to Tesla Coils. Start basic, with passive components, then move on to basic chips (the 555 timer, op-amps, TTL/CMOS logic), and go from there. You won't regret it.

Feel free to purchase the Tesla Coil kit, but I don't recommend starting off with it.

Regards,
Matt

I agree with you, Ron. I am an avid Tesla Coiler, but I really don't recommend them for learning about electronics in general. My recommendation would be to get the Learning Lab from Radioshack, or something like it. The price may seem a bit steep depending on your budget, but I can guarantee it'll be worth it: https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3814337

That will allow you to breadboard all sorts of circuits, and eventually you can work your way up to Tesla Coils. Start basic, with passive components, then move on to basic chips (the 555 timer, op-amps, TTL/CMOS logic), and go from there. You won't regret it.

Feel free to purchase the Tesla Coil kit, but I don't recommend starting off with it.

Regards,
Matt

Hey Matt, obviously when I saw this thread I thought about you. :)

Little by little I am cleaning out about 40 years of accumulated "stuff". When I was a kid I built my first TC out of an old Popular Electronics magazine using a large neon sign transformer, something like 15 KV @ 30mA. I think I have a maybe 12 KV transformer buried somewhere. Beefy transformer. When I find it I'll get in touch. I will never use it so if you want it for any future TC projects it's yours. I can't believe how much stuff I have piled up over the years.

Ron

Hey Matt, obviously when I saw this thread I thought about you. :)

Little by little I am cleaning out about 40 years of accumulated "stuff". When I was a kid I built my first TC out of an old Popular Electronics magazine using a large neon sign transformer, something like 15 KV @ 30mA. I think I have a maybe 12 KV transformer buried somewhere. Beefy transformer. When I find it I'll get in touch. I will never use it so if you want it for any future TC projects it's yours. I can't believe how much stuff I have piled up over the years.

Ron

That's very generous of you, Ron! I currently have three neon sign transformers--a 12k/30, a 9k/60, and a 7.5k/15--as well as a 17.5k/45 OBIT, so I wonder if one of our up-and-coming Tesla coilers might be a better choice? Maybe hold a competition of some sort? My current Tesla coil project is a DRSSTC, so I will not need a high voltage transformer for that one. I could use capacitors and/or toploads, though, so I'd be willing to buy one of those off you if they fit my specs ;)

Thanks very much!
Matt

Last edited:
That's very generous of you, Ron! I currently have three neon sign transformers--a 12k/30, a 9k/60, and a 7.5k/15--as well as a 17.5k/45 OBIT, so I wonder if one of our up-and-coming Tesla coilers might be a better choice? Maybe hold a competition of some sort? My current Tesla coil project is a DRSSTC, so I will not need a high voltage transformer for that one. I could use capacitors and/or toploads, though, so I'd be willing to buy one of those off you if they fit my specs ;)

Thanks very much!
Matt

Mat, forgive the ignorance but what is DRSSTC? Something, Something, Solid State, Tesla Coil? :)

Ron

Mat, forgive the ignorance but what is DRSSTC? Something, Something, Solid State, Tesla Coil? :)

Ron

Oops, sorry about that--yep, you're right on with the "solid state Tesla coil". The "DR" stands for "dual-" or "double-resonant", meaning the primary tank circuit oscillates at a resonant frequency as well as the secondary. This increases the power throughput significantly, making it a much more efficient, and impressive, Tesla coil design. I will probably start a blog here about it, if enough people express interest.

Thanks for your replies everyone! The radioshack learning lab looks like a good place to start but I think I'm going to pre-order a tinyTesla kit because it looks so cool. Yay electronics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back