Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tinge unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cougar190

:shock: Boy I hope this is the right place to put this!!! Anybody out there got the skinny on how to build a tinge unit or something along the lines of an Abtron*ncs something variable !! Thanks in advance cougar...

What the heck is a tinge unit?
JB

jbeng said:
What the heck is a tinge unit?
JB

Apparently a ******* pronunciation of TENS unit. Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation.

Like Oznog said, it's proper name is a TENS unit, not "tinge". And, I actually do know what function a TENS unit performs, but I dare say that many people reading this thread haven't a clue what it is, until now. For those of you who don't know what the acronym represents, see Oznog's post. As for what it does, it's a device used to stimulate nerves for controlling pain.

Yes, Nigel, I am very well aware of Google as a [reasonably] valuable resource. As a matter of fact, I use it on a daily basis, which (apparently) numerous posters do not.

My initial post was designed to allow the OP to elaborate on his post, as was the post from RusslK.
JB

It has various uses. Some for muscle tone, sometimes pain control, and- let's not get too far into this here- some high end adult toys. The medical uses vary from medically proven to quackery and downright dangerous applications. Abtronics promises to tone your abs while you watch TV which I'm filing under Q for "quack".

TENS units have to be very careful not to provide excessive voltage and it is always strongly emphasized that the electrodes not be placed in certain ways which might be able to affect the heart. It is not only the frequency and amplitude of the pulse but its shape is also very important.

I would not at all recommend trying to make something unless you were to research the topic directly and REALLY know what you're doing with TENS and really know electronics. The danger of just electrocuting or burning a person with a crude circuit is all too real. TENS uses self-adhesive pads which would stay in happily stay in place while the person's muscles are locked up leaving him unable to remove them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back