Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tin Whiskers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the mercury in tooth fillings ?

I do wonder if this whole 'green' thing is yet another reason to tax us even more.

In the 50s and 60s they were saying we needed to build nuclear power stations because there is an ice age on its way

I've been asked by the powe company if I would I like to pay more for my power because its 'green'. (-If they don't get enough 'volunteers' then they'll put up the prices for everyone).

Last edited:
CheapSlider said:
What about the lead in tooth fillings ?

They don't use lead in fillings.

I do wonder if this whole 'green' thing is yet another reason to tax us even more.

Mostly it is, they have introduced lots of extra taxes claiming they are 'green'.

In the 50s and 60s they were saying we needed to build nuclear power stations because there is an ice age on its way

There is, but it's a LONGGGGGG way away :D

I've been asked by the powe company if I would I like to pay more for my power because its 'green'. (-If they don't get enough 'volunteers' then they'll put up the prices for everyone).

Tell them you'd like non-green power and your bill reducing.

CheapSlider said:
yes you are right its mercury* (which is supposed to be even worse than lead)

Try reading about it:

What are amalgam fillings?

Amalgam fillings are silver coloured. They are made by combining mercury and a silver alloy (50% mercury, 35% silver, 15% tin, copper and other metals). Amalgam is long lasting and hard wearing and has been used in fillings for at least 150 years. It is economical to use and it is not unusual for an amalgam filling to last 15 to 20 years. This kind of filling is normally used on the back chewing teeth. Before the filling can be placed, the area must be prepared by removing all the decay and shaping the cavity to hold the filling in place. If the tooth is badly broken, your dentist may need to place a small stainless steel pin to help secure the filling.

Are there any risks from amalgam fillings?

Mercury in dental amalgam is not poisonous once it is combined with the other materials in the amalgam filling. Its chemical nature changes so that it is harmless. Research into the safety of dental amalgam has been carried out for over 100 years. So far, no reputable controlled studies have found a connection between amalgam fillings and any medical problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back