Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timer delay switch for camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony-ellis

I have mounted a micro switch to a device that, when activated, fires a digital camera. The camera is pre-focused, so all that is needed is to close the contacts in the camera, and fire the shutter. The problem is that the camera fires before the device has done its bit, and there is no way of speeding this action up. What I need is a timer switch that delays the firing of the shutter once the micro switch has been activated. I am looking for a variable delay between 0 seconds to say, 2 minutes, though the important timing is in the 0 - 10 seconds range.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Most digital cameras have this function built in so you can push the button and walk around to the front of the camera to get your picture taken. Will that work?

Hi, unfortunately, the timer on the camera starts at 2 minutes delay, which is the top end of the operating range I'm looking at. What I need is a timer circuit that allows me to dial in a delay that allows me to catch the action when an activity occurs that trips the micro-switch. The time required can vary depending on a number of external variables, and as these can be re-run a number of times, the actual delay can be determined by doing a number of trial runs.

Hi, unfortunately, the timer on the camera starts at 2 minutes delay, which is the top end of the operating range I'm looking at. What I need is a timer circuit that allows me to dial in a delay that allows me to catch the action when an activity occurs that trips the micro-switch. The time required can vary depending on a number of external variables, and as these can be re-run a number of times, the actual delay can be determined by doing a number of trial runs.

hi,
A simple way would be to use a 555 timer IC.
Fitted with a variable resistor you could vary the delay time to suit, if you attached a simple home made dial to the variable could 'calibrate' the timer.
Push a button to start the delay and at the end of the delay it operates a relay,

Last edited:
hi Tony,
This is an option.
This will give a variable time delay of 1 sec thru to approx 60 secs.

Attachments

• Camera2.gif
    Camera2.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 203
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back