Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timer circuit for a 24v 1.3amp pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bio-nut

I am new to this site and have been directed to Electro Tech for help. I am looking to design a circuit that will operate a 24vdc 1.3 amp pump, to turn it on /off at a duration tunable within 0.5-3.5 sec intervals. Unfortunately my back ground in electrical engineering is very limited as I am a Bio-chemist.

I have come across a circuit such as this one below which are set to operate a pump in the same manor, but I can not find a schematic for it.
Reef Central Online Community Archives - Wave Box with Resun waver 15000 DC

24vdc 1.5amp wall transformer (like for a cell phone) and the pump, both are a simple two wire connection +/-.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this 3.5 on and 3.5 off (50/50)? You can google for "555 timer FET driver circuit" and see what you find.

I have been staring at this circuit for two weeks now and I can not figure out how to convert it to operate with a two wire input and output. I would like to stick wit this design due to it being cheap and I have already purchased the parts.
**broken link removed**

Ian:

As a frequent visitor to RC, I would be interested in what pump you plan on using.?

Define your pump cycle parameter specifications

I am new to this site and have been directed to Electro Tech for help. I am looking to design a circuit that will operate a 24vdc 1.3 amp pump, to turn it on /off at a duration tunable within 0.5-3.5 sec intervals.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ian

You say that you want 0.5-3.5 sec 'pump on' intervals.
Is this parameter the same as 't on' in the attached diagram?

Do you require a variable repetition rate ..... or would a constant frequency of the 't on' periods be sufficient? .... This refers to the parameter 't int' in the diagram.

.... Found this circuit board kit ..... Would it be acceptable? ... comes with relay.
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• square wave.JPG
    square wave.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
What's wrong with the time delay relay? Is this a student project where they aren't allowed?

The time interval will be tunable from a range of on 0.14 sec/ off 0.14 sec to on 3.5 sec/ off 3.5 sec.

I am not sure how to connect to the unit that where suggested. I looked at the grid on the back and I have no clue how to try in with power in power out if you could show me that I would love to use one of those engineered products.

The pump I will be using is a Resun 1500. If I can get this figured out I plan on sharing it with everyone on RC, Thanks for the interest Bryan.

You say that you want 0.5-3.5 sec 'pump on' intervals.
Is this parameter the same as 't on' in the attached diagram?

Do you require a variable repetition rate ..... or would a constant frequency of the 't on' periods be sufficient? .... This refers to the parameter 't int' in the diagram.

.... Found this circuit board kit ..... Would it be acceptable? ... comes with relay.
**broken link removed**

That circuit is almost exactly what I need. I t says 12v in put and a max of 24v out put will it work for this pump? I just need the t(on) and t(off) to be the exact same to create a sway of the water column. Here is a Video showing what I want to do with it!
YouTube - Resun Wavebox

Thank you for all the help so far I feel like I am so close!

... Not precisely sure how to get the on/off specs that you require .......at this time.

However, whatever timer unit you select, you will probably have to utilize an interface of some sort between the timer and the pump. This would be either a relay, or else something called an FET.

The timer will provide the 'signal', and will activate the relay or FET, to allow current to flow through the pump motor.

..... Just a matter of looking around .....

Where did you get the diagram that you show in the post above?

It looks as if there is a built in relay into that circuit that you showed me earlier I think that this will work out I just ordered it! I will keep you posted on the out come.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Will have to keep an eye on your thread. Don't see how you are going to get a Resun pump to handle that type of duty cycle. It will chatter and be worn out in a couple of days.

I think that I can alter the time(off) by using a different capacitor or the potentiometer to bring down the time cycle.

I think that I can alter the time(off) by using a different capacitor or the potentiometer to bring down the time cycle.

If you can narrow the cycle time to one or two .... even 3 or 4 specific settings, it would not be too much trouble to build a dedicated timer circuit for a particular duty cycle and frequency. The difficulty is in building one circuit to cover all of the suggested range.

Once you have several of the timer circuits that look like they will be useful, then you can switch the pump between them using a multiple pole switch.

Definitely some experimentation is necessary here ..... to see what actually works.

I am not sure if I have made this seem more complicated that it should be, but.

I just need it to run equal on off periods that would be adjustable with a single potentiometer or two. and this is just so that I can find the harmonic of the reef tank.

I think the pulse and the delay overlap enough that I can make the timer circuit you showed me to work.

* output relay with dry switch over contact 3A/24V max
* pulse time adjustable from 0.5 and 5 seconds
* pause time adjustable from 2.5 and 60 secondsIf ichange out the capacitor on this one to the same
value of the pulse timer then I should be able to get what I need.

* power supply 12Vdc/100ma (not included)
* pcb dimensions: 1.6" x 2.3" (4 x 5.8cm)
* MK111 555 interval timer electronic kit assembly is required

Last edited:
I am looking for the same thing what became of this? There is you tube videos all over the place using the resun but i can not find a wiring schematic for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back