Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timed switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chads

OK I´ll do my best to not use the wrong terminology here. I understand some basic electronis theory and component function but I have not got the slightest clue how to design a circuit to actually do something. What I need is a circuit that will close a a series of momentary switches at an adjustable time interval
there would be three pairs of switches pair 1,2 pair 3,4 pair 5,6. The cycle would go as follows close switches 1,4,6 wait, close switches 2,3,6 wait, close switches 4,5,2 wait, then repeat the cycle. The switch contacts would be connected to cat5 cables about 20´ long, if the whole thing could be powered by batteries or a wall wart that would be good. these are just being used to activate the switches on air conditioning panels to cycle a series of units from cool to fan. I will probably build it on a solderless breadboard for starters. Thanks for any help anyone can give me, this is a great forum.

How long are the switches closed and what's the interval between closures? Are the time values fixed or do you need to vary them?

crutschow said:
How long are the switches closed and what's the interval between closures? Are the time values fixed or do you need to vary them?

Thanks for the reply,

The switches on the AC units are those plastic bubble switches so a 0.5 sec closing is probably fine if the interval is variable it would be nice but a fixed 5-7 minute interval would work. but the switches always need to close in the sets of three as I indicated before

chads said:
The switches on the AC units are those plastic bubble switches so a 0.5 sec closing is probably fine if the interval is variable it would be nice but a fixed 5-7 minute interval would work. but the switches always need to close in the sets of three as I indicated before
I'm not familiar with "plastic bubble switches". Are those relays or hand operated switches? If they're hand operated, I would assume some power relays what have to be added to do the switching. Either way I need to know how much power/current needs to be switched.

The time delays could likely be done with time delay relays. These are programmable typically from 0.1 sec to hours. The cost is about $35-$85 each depending upon size and options.

these switches are like the ones on the front panel of a microwave they are not power switches really just momentary swithes for digital I would think so not a lot of current.

chads said:
wait, close switches 4,5,2 wait, then repeat the cycle.
What causes the cycle to repeat? Is that manually or timed automatic?

Do you have access to the terminals of the bubble switches? Will you be able to connect wires to them?

What are bubble switches??????:confused: :confused: :confused:

for your timer part i would use a cd 4060 easy to set to your time requrements and you can use the diferent outputs to get the swich sequence

Robert-Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back