Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timed garage door switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesmilton1951

Hi all
I am new to the world of electronic I have joined this forum to tap into its wealth of experienced users.
The project I would like some advice on is a timed switch to open my garage door opener at a time in the morning and close at a time in the evening.
The door can be opened manually by a door bell type button push once to open then push once to close I would like a circuit that would utilise this, using an AC digital timer with a socket would seam to be the most convenient way of timing the switching, plugging a suitable transformer the power supplied could be a low DC say 3v the part I need help with is a simple circuit to
PUSH MY BUTTON:D
Any help-Advice would be great fully received.
Thanks for looking
Les.

Welcome to the forum, Les.
I must say you're a trusting individual and obviously live in a low crime area if you want a setup which opens the door in the morning, leaves it open all day and then only closes it in the evening :).
It would help us to know what voltage is already present across the manual button of the door opener.
And did you mean the simulated button will be something which plugs into the "AC digital timer with a socket" ?
Do you already have the timer?
Plug-in timers are readily available cheaply for closing a switch twice a day (e.g. for domestic central-heating) with a time resolution of 15 mins. Wouldn't one of those do?

Hi alic_t
Firstly let me put your mind at ease the door opener will be used to open/close the doors to my hen houses the idea is to save me having to open the door to let them out early in the morning and to close the door in the evening realy usefull if I am away from home in the evening.
The answer to your questions I do have a mains electronic timer 7 day 8 on off settings, the shortest timer segment is 1 minute as for any voltage on the button wires I have tested both wires with my tester set to DC v and the only figure I could read was on the red trace wire which read 00.4 these 2 wires are only bell wire and they go to the circuit board the terminals are marked 1 and 2 number 2 is red the red trace wire is attached. the answer to your last question, my idea was to plug into the timer a transformer something like an old phone charger I have lots of these typ of transformers ranging from 18v dc to 3v dc the timer would turn on the transfotmer and the dc volt would operate a switch which would connect the 2 operating wires and start the motor, the timer would turn off when the power stops the switch resets until the timer turns on again, the time the motor runs is adjustable in the motor housing. The only thing I am unsure about is if the wires are kept connected for the 1 minute the timer takes to switch off, if I used a switch which reset after 2 or 3 second would it be re trigered because the power would still be present. I hopes helps you

Gosh I am sorry this post is so long try not to lose interest befor you Finnish reading.

Les

Ok, it's a coop door opener. There have been several threads already for that in the forums. Worth a search there?
the time the motor runs is adjustable in the motor housing
? Normally for motor control you would use the switch to start the motor and a limit switch would switch the motor off, so there wouldn't be a set motor-run duration.
Can you post a schematic or other info for your motor controller?

The only thing I am unsure about is if the wires are kept connected for the 1 minute the timer takes to switch off, if I used a switch which reset after 2 or 3 second would it be re trigered because the power would still be present.
You can use a relay to connect the switch contacts together. The relay can be powered from the plugpack and the ON-time controlled by a series capacitor. The resistor shown in the diagram to to allow the capacitor to discharge when power is removed (you should probably use a 10k rather than the marked 1k).

The time the relay is on is determined by the value of the capacitor, but also by the characteristics of the relay; therefore you may have to try some different capacitor values to get the time you want. 1000uF-2200uF should be a good starting point for a few seconds of operation.

Attachments

• pulse shortener.png
    pulse shortener.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back