Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timed Billboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucenginerd

I am taking an electronics design lab, and our project is to build one of those billboards that flip to one of three sides. I'm using a stepper motor, and I've figured out that part of it, but I need some help with the timer.

So, I need to have a delay, and then deliver a string of 16 pulses to my stepper motor. I was going to accomplish the 16 pulses with a counter hooked up to an 8 bit decoder, to give me 16 consecutive pulses, and then I planned to feed back the carry signal with some logic to the clock or enable or something to get it to stop but....

I need help with the timer. I have no experience with CMOS technology at all, and everything I see is for CMOS 555 timer circuits. Can I achieve this with TTL? Also, one design requirement is to have the delay in between times that the billboard switches be variable. I was thinking a variable resistor in the 555 timer circuit or changing the frequency of my clock input.

Please help if you can!

Thanks
ucenginerd

You may want to check out the CMOS IC 4060. Which can generate timing intervals by dividing a clock. You can switch between multiple intervals but all intervals will increasing or decreasing by a factor of 2. Does this help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back