Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time for that S-word to start again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

Well its time for school to start again, and I was just wondering what classes everyone was taking...
I'm going into my 4th year for EE, and it looks like I'm going to be going with a computer networking class (needed for my minor in CE), digital signal processing, motors, statistics and microcontrollers.

I think I am going to absolutly love my microcontrollers class.

so what is everyone else taking?

I am starting to study at University, Computer Engineering - Computer Networks. I am excited, I hope I will learn something there (Besides my 4. semester of CCNA Certificate that I earned doday :D ).

I will have to design & Build a project in 3rd year, so I am working on that, it is gonna be a Web server, with Compat Flash, USB and 10BaseT Ethernet connection.

well my 6th semester (3rd year) of engineering has started. the subjects in this semester are signals and systems, digital communications, optoelectronics and microwave systems, advanced microcomputer interfacing (8051 microcontroller) and technical report writing.

i have to make a project this semester and ill have to do an internship after this semester so im looking forward for that as well.

jrz126 said:
Well its time for school to start again, and I was just wondering what classes everyone was taking...
I'm going into my 4th year for EE, and it looks like I'm going to be going with a computer networking class (needed for my minor in CE), digital signal processing, motors, statistics and microcontrollers.

I think I am going to absolutly love my microcontrollers class.

so what is everyone else taking?

what book are you using for DSP?
If it is Proakis, you're in for a treat.

I'm considering doing a HPD in Engineering this September (part time). The reason I say considering is that the lecturer hasn't yet decided on the course's exact direction. If he gets enough electronic students he wants to make it a HPD in Electronic Engineering but otherwise he says he'll make it a multi-disciplinary course so you'll have a bit of Electronics, a bit of Electrical, a bit of Mechanics and so forth. I'm not sure I'd like that latter option as my interest is pretty much purely Electronic.

If that doesn't go as planned I'm considering studying for a HNC in Electronic Engineering elsewhere.

Jay: I know I quite often quote Elektor Electronics, and it almost seems as if I've become a walking talking advert for them, but they did an in-house embedded web server project some time ago. If you shoot over to their website you might be able to find the article and, for a small fee, you can then download it. Might give you some ideas.

Brian

Samcheetah:

I absolutely despise 8051 microprocessors. I originally learnt how to program and use microprocessors on the 6502 and, later, the Z80 - both of which I felt were very nice CPUs. Especially the Z80 which has some really nice features and is relatively easy to program.

I then tried to learn assembly for the 8051 and... well... I just hated it. Nothing about the 8051 seemed logical to me and in the end I decided to hell with it and moved on to other processors instead. Since then I've kinda developed a pet hate for Intel and their processors.

Despite that, I've spoken to a lot of people who sware by the 8051. Personal preference I suppose.

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
Jay: I know I quite often quote Elektor Electronics, and it almost seems as if I've become a walking talking advert for them, but they did an in-house embedded web server project some time ago. If you shoot over to their website you might be able to find the article and, for a small fee, you can then download it. Might give you some ideas.

Brian
Thanks, but I want to do it from scratch. I have seen such designs but none was good enaugh for me :) . I like to build things on my own, therefore I know they are good (or not). :p

ThermalRunaway said:
I then tried to learn assembly for the 8051 and... well... I just hated it. Nothing about the 8051 seemed logical to me and in the end I decided to hell with it and moved on to other processors instead. Since then I've kinda developed a pet hate for Intel and their processors.

I also started with Z80, then 8748 and then 8051. I can't find anything specially illogical or difficult about them. They are all look 90% the same to me. Except PIC, which is a totally different beast and completely new learning experience.

I don't swear by any processors families, they are developed at different times and have their differences. All are OK to me as I just need them to do the job.

ThermalRunaway said:
Samcheetah:
Since then I've kinda developed a pet hate for Intel and their processors.

good on ya. :wink: intel processors are soooooooooo slow.

I dunno y i like Intel processors, though i find them slower than AMD... I'm entering my 4th Computer And Communication Engineering year, but I did take the microcontroller courses/labs... I really like "playing" with Motorolla's TIM 68K, though it's old... My project used the tiny 16F84A PIC, it was a door locker, with LCD screen, u save a code, then u need that code to open the door :p ...

jrz126 said:
Time for that S-word to start again...

Sean Connery: "I'll take Swords for 800!"
Alex Trebek: "Thats S-words! S-words...not Swords!" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back