Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time difference calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurabh17g

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am developing a circuit for calculation of time spent for the wave to travel from one end of sample to another. The length of sample varies from 0.5 cm to 10 cm.
I have generated sinewave and I want to determine the instance the wave hits the sample and the instance the wave gets out of it. Once, i determine the first instance, i will start the timer and stop it once i determine the next instance. Transducer is used to convert the electrical signal to ultrasonic signal which hits the sample and viceversa.
I am developing this circuit using AVR microcontroller. I found that the inbuilt Timer clock frequency doesnot exceed 8KHz. But I want to operate my timers are higher frequencies around 4 Mhz. Please suggest me inputs.

What exactly are you trying to measure? Sound? Light? Waves on water?

What kind of wave?

How much time do you want to measure? What's the min and max time, and desired resolution? We might guess that you want better than 250 ns resolution since you mentioned 4 MHz.

It is a sinewave.
The wave hit points are marked by comparator. The comparator signals are given to interrupt pins and timer is started and stopped second comparator triggering.

What rock Sauara? You're not giving us enough detailed information on exactly what you're tryign to measure. Based on what you've said so far there are so many variations on what you could be measuring and how that there is simply put no way to help you till you explain EXACTLY what you're trying to do. Are you trying to acoustically range sense .5cm to 10cms? Because most acoustical distance sensors don't even start working until 10+cms.
If the media you're measuring through is a solid vs air the speed of sound will change so drastically that it will require a different approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back