Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time delay relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronos

Problem: My company is almost finished installing a new cash register system that processes some transactions and backs up data at a remote server. Installing a network in each store was fairly basic, however, teaching the staff how to operate it is another problem entirely. In order to properly reset the network they need to unplug the modem (usually a standard cable modem), the Watchguard firewall and a panel mounted switch. Then they need to plug back in the modem, wait for about two minutes for it to fully boot, then the Watchguard and wait for it to fully boot and finally the switch. No matter how many times you tell them to actually check a clock and wait a lousy two minutes before powering up the next device, inevitably 30 seconds goes by and I get a call saying "Ok everything is plugged back in, why isn't it working?"

Solution: I want to build a small project box with three plugs in it and a single momentary push button, possibly an on/off led. My thought is that after a power outage or if I need them to reset the network all they have to do is push the button once and an automatic timer will delay things in the right order and the correct amount of time before powering anything up.

A quick google search turned up a ton of information but most projects I saw were referencing a time delay in seconds or microseconds. Then I found this, a Seeedstudio relay shield for Arduino that I believe will work perfectly.

Question: Comments, suggestions of better suited devices, previous experiences?

Perhaps something like this. It has build-in programming so doesn't require an external microprocessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back