Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tiebel tankless water heater is cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddest thing....it just started up again...Second time its done that. Quit for an hour.

Make sure the flow sensor is working properly. Instant water heaters wont fire up if its faulty.

Also check the temperature sensor.

Follow up...

Prob. was the flow sensor with the oddest failure mode. It runs under medium flow but froze under high flow. Thus I got hot water only when the faucet is adjusted to medium flow.

Scoped the flow sensor and it maxed out at about 125Hz pulses. (wire color code is a bit strange as well, black = 5V, red = gnd , yellow = pulse out).

Dismantled and removed the sensor, opened it up with a birdbeak pliers - twist and pull the 'wagon wheel' spoked housing. Cleaned up the spindles and silicone lubed it. Reassembly took an hour as I had probs getting the turbine wheel to stay centre balanced to allow aligned installation of the 'wagon wheel' spindle component clamshell. Now it puts out > 500hz square wave and all's good again!

I guess the designers did not have enough experience to include LED monitors for mechanical failures.

regularly clean and descale the fi lter screen located in the cold water inlet connection and replace if necessary.

Just to summarize the results.

Here is the breakout of the heater showing the flow sensor:
https://www.gotankless.com/stiebel-tankless-internal-view.html

This is the replacement item plus shipping:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Stiebel-Eltron-286461-Flow-Sensor

This is what I replaced the OEM part with:
**broken link removed**

Works fine...note that on the OEM part, black is 5V +ve, red is GND...Wire accordingly and all is well.
That's $25 OEM vs $4 substitute.....and the replacement part is user serviceable!

I like the translation-from the description:eek:

Note:
Avoid strong impact and chemical erosion;
Forbid to throw or collision;

upload_2018-7-25_10-49-29.png
upload_2018-7-25_10-55-27.png
Just to summarize the results.

Here is the breakout of the heater showing the flow sensor:
https://www.gotankless.com/stiebel-tankless-internal-view.html

This is the replacement item plus shipping:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Stiebel-Eltron-286461-Flow-Sensor

This is what I replaced the OEM part with:
**broken link removed**

Works fine...note that on the OEM part, black is 5V +ve, red is GND...Wire accordingly and all is well.
That's $25 OEM vs $4 substitute.....and the replacement part is user serviceable!
Hi,
My OEM is like the replacement.
It has three black wires.
I did get a replacement like the one you used. I gather the wireing is the same.

OEM
Black = 5v+
Red = Ground
Yellow = Pulse out.

Substitute:
Black = Ground
Red = 5v +
Yellow = Pulse out

However I was hoping you remember the placement of the wiring where it connects to the Board.

The OEM three wires seem to be:
Black on the left, Red in the centre and Yellow on the right.
Is this how you remember the layout?
If so, I guess it will be a matter of connecting the Substitute Red to the Black on the right of the plug, and the Substitute Black to the Red on the plug. Yellow to Yellow.

From Brochure:
upload_2018-7-25_10-49-29.png

Replacement
upload_2018-7-25_10-55-27.png

Thanks
Joe

yes, thats right.
The replacement was mounted just below the heater on the intake line as the OEM part is custom fit and is best left alone. Just connect the wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back