Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tidal Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashsite

Banned
There have been a few schemes to extract electrical power from the action of waves and tides. I think the big problem with trying to extract tidal energy is the environmental impact. It's certainly fairly easy to build large reservoirs, with in-flow and out-flow gates along ocean beachfront but, it also has a tremendous impact on coastal plant and animal life.

But, there are ways to work with the natural surroundings. For example, it's common to allow wrecked ships to remain as man-made reefs and to build jettys and breakwater barriers, etc. to actually enhance life near sea shores and to minimize erosion. So, why not incorporate tidal power generation into these types of projects.

It shouldn't take much. As the tide comes in you store the water and as it goes back out you release the water. Of course, the flow has to be subtle enough not to knock the sea life around. Enter the Israelis.

Back in the '70s and '80s the Israelis were working on some really low speed turbines. In fact, their demonstration power generation plant consisted of the flow set up between layers of salt and fresh water as it was warmed by the sun. Surely, tidal flow could be more powerful than that even if it's moving slowly enough not to disrupt fish and other sea plants and animals!

Tsunamis don't really do much in deep water (except travel really fast). It's when they suddenly hit shallow water near a coast that they suddenly surge. In areas prone to tsunami damage it would seem reasonable to build man-made barriers that would serve the dual function of disrupting the power of a tsunami (by destructive interference effected by the placement and spacing of the barriers) and producing electrical power.

It just seems like there's an awful lot of power going to waste and if even .00001% of it could be captured, worldwide, that would still be a LOT of power!

I do realize that sea water and electricity are a dreadful combination but, I would hope that the technology of undersea cabling has advanced somewhat since the transatlantic cable was run back in the...'50s was it?

crashsite said:
I do realize that sea water and electricity are a dreadful combination but, I would hope that the technology of undersea cabling has advanced somewhat since the transatlantic cable was run back in the...'50s was it?

1866 :p

And by 1890 the British had cables to most of the Empire, they all come ashore to a shed at Porthcurno, and are still there today.

As I said on a recent thread on here, it always amazes me how long ago things were achieved. To think that Sydney could talk to London in real time over 150 years ago is just mind boggling. (yes, I do know it was Morse)

Mike.

Hmmmmm....maybe the cable I was recalling was for television transmission across the ocean by cable. It's been a long time since I had read about it.

_.. _ _ _ . ... ._ _. _._ _ _ _ _ _ _. . ... _ .. ._.. ._.. _ ._ ._ _.

crashsite said:
Hmmmmm....maybe the cable I was recalling was for television transmission across the ocean by cable. It's been a long time since I had read about it.

Trouble was, by the time the TV signal got here, it was the wrong format. We use NTSC. :D So we had to send it back for a refund.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back