Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ticking computer power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjmcc

hi guys i have a 1000w computer power supply that is ticking even when it is off so its not a fan issue. the ticking seems to be on intervals of 1 second

the power supply was turned on today for the first time in about 5months

does anyone know what would cause a power supply to tick?? and does it matter?

Last edited:
Sounds like a type of overload to me. or a faulty electrolytic shorting out.

Check for bulged capacitors on the board.

It seems to be a non canonical discharging of the big capacitor check it with a ohmometr and replace it. Also check the 11W or 11W resistor ( the white one) if has some continuity problems and also replace it.
but the electrolytic capacitor is more sensitive and I think is the responsible one

hey guys i found what has caused my power supply to tick. it seems that i plugged a 250v 75a into the power supply but all the other cords are 250v 100a

so i tested the 250v 75a cord on an old unused power supply, i checked before hand to see if the test power supply was ticking and it wasnt. after i plugged the 250v 75a into the test power supply sure enough it started ticking.

so i guess the lower amp has damaged somethign inside my power supply causing it to tick??

11W resistor?

I've never seen a 11W resistor, do you mean a 11Ω resistor?

Still how do you know it has a 11R resistor without looking at the schematic?

This is my job I have the schematics from almost all besteselling ATX PSU

That's impressive given that the origional poster hasn't even given the model number or manufacturer. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back