Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tic tac noise on a Buzzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimus

Hello guys , I guess i got a good one.

I have been playing with a old VW and i decide to get rid off all relays and get some cool solid state stuff. I have been working on that which seems okay so far. However i got a problem, I read a norm that says that I have to have the "tic tac" noise from the blinker. I hooked up a buzzer into a bjt
and its base into a microcontroller. I have been playing with different frequencies but I can't get nothing like a tic tac. Just some noise. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Can you get to the coil wires in the buzzer? Go straight to the coil, bypass the contacts - that may give you the sound you want. Don't forget to put a protection diode across the coil.

Last edited:
Well if you can get a tone out of the buzzer you need to program your micro controller to turn that tone on and off so that it tics.

What do you mean by passing the contacts? I am using this buzzer here:

254-PB508-ROX

Are you telling me to bust it open to reach the coil?

Also, I can get it to make tons. I was playing with yesterday and played a star war song (badly). But I can´t seem to get the ´tac´or ´tic´ sounds by playing with different frequencies. All i can get are tons, like in a phone.

Define 'some noise' buzzers are ment to do one thing and one thing only, buzz with an applied DC voltage. If you're using a piezo speaker not a buzzer you yourself are responsible for creating the driving frequency that causes it make an audible tone. Once you get that you just turn it on for a few cycles of it's resonant frequency then off for the rest of approximately a 1 second period, and poof, you have a tick. If the buzzer makes a 1 or 2khz tone, you only need the on period of the buzzer to be a few milliseconds to be noticeable.
So you don't have a tick.
What noise ARE you making?

Not a piezo, a mechanical buzzer, with a coil. Get a big horrible mechanical buzzer like this one -
**broken link removed**

- bypass the contacts and go straight to the coil. The sound you are trying to recreate is the sound of an armature slapping against metal inside an old fashioned electromechanical blinker. A piezo beeper isn't going to sound like that no matter how crufty you get with the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back