Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thyristors to Control Solenoid Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

excetara2

We bought Icemaker valves to use in an automatic drink mixer. The valves are below:

**broken link removed**

I can't find any information on the valves but assume these don't have a control signal. They require a thyristor to use properly? We only want them open when we send a control signal from the microcontroller. Then they will remain up for about 10 seconds then need to shut off.

Is a thyristor the best route or is there something less expensive or easier?

Last edited:
That is one of the problems. I don't have a datasheet. It think they are 10W

So they should be about a .5 Amp then. Not sure does that seem right.

That is one of the problems. I don't have a datasheet. It think they are 10W

So they should be about a .5 Amp then. Not sure does that seem right.

If the valve component is under 200 watts, the suggested part should be safe to use, at 120 VAC.

Of the two parts shown, you probably want the resistive one, not the 'random', or inductive part.

Last edited:
Are there any cheaper ones? This is for a prototype design for a capstone class?

We need 8 of them.

Thanks for the help.

There is a suggested standard circuit for the relay devices... see Digi-Key site:
**broken link removed**
... see p.9.

You might want to check the previously mentioned CASO series part .... customer/tech support ... and see if any protection circuitry is warranted.

Also, if possible, find the actual load current required by the solenoid valve.
Seems like it would be relatively small .... maybe 0.1 amps AC.

Last edited:
On the snubber circuit, It says to use .022uF and 47Ohm on the AC side. Do I need high power resistors and capacitors? How high a voltage should they be able to handle?

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back