Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thunderbird Electric fence unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tytower

Banned
I had a beauty , worked well . Lightening strike and it went kaput.

I noticed though that as it was not turned on the damage may be confined to the two large capacitors but then I am an optimist. I would like to try replacing the caps but there are no identifying marks left on them (see photo)

Can anyone suggest what might work? What size and voltage . I have a large store of electrolytics but none like these.

I know I should throw it away but I have to watch the pennies and I have lots of knowledge and lots of friends here so I thought to try here first.

The board is marked with C7 & C8 as 4U Pulse Grade
There is a BC337 tranny blown which should be straightforward.
Also a couple of Diodes marked BYV26E blown (not sure on replacements for these either)

Attachments

• Caps Blown.JPG
    Caps Blown.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Hi. The diodes are high speed avalanche types. If i was to hazard a guess on the cap's, i'd say that they're high voltage polyester film types. Also, i wouldn't be suprised if many other things have blown - especially with a lightning strike. Hope you get sorted. All the best. Damian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back