Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Three wire strain gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmmm

Hi, I've dismantled some bathroom scales to use the load cells in another project, and I want to convert the weight to a voltage. There are several tutorials online for this, but they all use strain gauges with four wires. Mine have three (red, black, white). I measured the resistance between them and it is (as far as I remember):

White->Red: 1k
Red->Black: 1k
White->Black: 2k
White+Black->Red: 0.5k

Which to me suggests some kind of white-red-black voltage divider.

Any idea how this is all connected? There is only one strain gauge on one side of the load cell cantilever.

Cheers.

Hi, I've dismantled some bathroom scales to use the load cells in another project, and I want to convert the weight to a voltage. There are several tutorials online for this, but they all use strain gauges with four wires. Mine have three (red, black, white). I measured the resistance between them and it is (as far as I remember):

White->Red: 1k
Red->Black: 1k
White->Black: 2k
White+Black->Red: 0.5k

Which to me suggests some kind of white-red-black voltage divider.

Any idea how this is all connected? There is only one strain gauge on one side of the load cell cantilever.

Cheers.

hi,
From your description you have a 'half bridge', the other arms of the bridge are most likely fixed 1K precision resistors.
Can you say what voltage was across the White/Black ends, it looks as thought the output is Red.
Are you able to see the fine wire load cell elements and how they are mounted.
Its important to know if the element pair are in compression or tension

EDIT:
Look at the image, I would consider the left hand option as being the correct one.

Attachments

• AAesp03.gif
    AAesp03.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
You could give this a read. They discuss 2 and 3 wire quarter bridge circuits. That may help you understand what you have.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back