Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Three phase question help

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrogers

Hi all, I'm having some trouble with an assignment on three phase systems. I'm stuck on this question (picture attached).

Some help would be greatly appreciated :)
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hello there,

Have you worked in the past with AC voltage sources that have a phase angle associated with them such as 120v@120deg, etc.?
I ask because for a three phase system you have to work with voltages that are at angles of 0 degrees, 120 degrees, and 240 degrees.

At first reading there is a catch here, we dont know if there is a neutral connection.

To calculate the power for the delta connection:

1 For each load, calculate the impedance. (Z = √(R² + X²))

2 For each load, find the current. (I = V/Z)

3 For each load, find the power. (W = I²R)

The total power is now the sum of the power in each load.

Now, for a star connection where the star point is connected to neutral, just do the same as for the delta connection. (Remember that the phase voltage will be line voltage divided by √3).

However, if the star point is floating the voltage across each load will be different because this is an unbalanced circuit.
At this point my three phase mathematical abilities run out and I dont know how to handle this case.
Running through the problem and assuming a neural connection, the numbers seem to work out quite easily.
(Hint: for the delta connection I make the total power 458watts).

JimB

Hello Jim,

Yes that's a good point. They dont specify the source connections. I would have assumed because they said "line voltage" and not "line to line voltage" that the source is a wye, but they may have simply worded it incorrectly.
Another good point that the wye neutral is probably connected to the source neutral, unless this is a slightly more advanced course.

If he hasnt yet learned to work with three phase voltages with phase angles then i would bet the wye neutral is connected to the source neutral so the problem is simplified.

Last edited:
I have covered AC breifly in the past but it remains somehwat a mystery for a light current electronics person like myself!

Thanks for taking the time to explain that JimB, one question I have before I try and run through is the value of X in (Z = √(R² + X²))?

Thanks very much

X is the reactance of the inductor. (X = 2.pi.f.L)

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back