Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thread start date next to user's name

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPDCHK

I'm a member of PLC Talk forum and they have a nice feature there.

It indicates when the user created the thread. This way it should be quick to see if somebody awoken a buried post from 10 years ago. Most often a one-time poster making a comment or re-asking the same question.

Is something like that easy (and/or cheap) to implement?

This probably would have been better placed in the "site feedback/suggestions" forum.

Anyway, I second that. I think it would be a good idea. I'm sure EM could find a nice way to fit it in there somewhere and have it look neat and un-crowded ;)

Am I missing something here?

It may be that I am being a bit thick here, but this is what I see on my screen:

View attachment 65984

JImB

I agree with JimB. It would be redundant. How would it help those wanting to respond who had reviewed the thread? Please keep the tool bars and other aspects of this forum clean and useful.

If you want to see an example of another forum in which clutter and redundancy in the tool bars is taken to the extreme, see: https://www.edaboard.com/forum.php. That is otherwise a good forum with many excellent contributors, but the clutter and redundancies added in the past few months have made reviewing new posts a pain. For example, the tool bar is so full of useless add-ons (e.g., "activity stream"), that a button to mark forums read on the "new posts" page is over written by a search button and can't be used (21" monitor, type-size readable with normal vision at 32"). One has to return to the main forum, wait for reload, then click a dropdown, and finally click on forum read.

John

When I read this post, I assumed he meant a thread start date on the forum or "new posts" page. I have attached a before and after picture of what I was thinking he meant.

Before:
View attachment 65987

After:
View attachment 65988

It's sloppy, but you get the picture ;)

P.S. I just looked at the link, and I'm not seeing anything like what I just suggested. I guess I was wrong about what the OP was asking for, but I still think something like that would be helpful.

Last edited:
Actually, in the forum topic, where the thread name (subject) is listed, it also shows the date when the thread was first started. That way, you will quickly see if the thread was started this year still or in 2007 for example.

A case example. There was a thread regarding a Siemens LOGO plc. The thread has only 5 replies but over 8000 views and it was started in May 2006. I don't know about you but those old threads seldom if ever reveals anything new to the subject rather than be a feeding ground for one-time posters who, chances are, they found the thread using a keyword search in Google. In short, worthless information.

View attachment 66003

OK, I see what you mean.

The idea does have merit.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back