Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Those dang Canadian hockey teams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

I'm gonna stop watching and rooting for American hockey teams. Seems the Canadians have that sport sewn up quite well. Then again, many of the American team members are trades from Canadian teams. So why is it then that too often, the American teams lose to the Canadian ones? Probably a conspiracy thing I guess!:eek:

Yes, Ice Hockey, not air hockey!:rolleyes: I'm a Penguins fan, but Toronto always seems to kick butt. Then again we Americans "had" Mario Lemeaux!!

Yeah, and then Ottawa Senators kick the butts of Toronto Maple Leafs :)
Therefore root you must for Ottawa.
Yes.

Lol normal hockey :D

In American/Canadian hockey, they slam each other against the ice rink walls so hard, they can generate up to 800lbs of force mathematically.

Krumlink said:
Lol normal hockey :D

In American/Canadian hockey, they slam each other against the ice rink walls so hard, they can generate up to 800lbs of force mathematically.

It funny how the Americans take all the games young girls play in the UK?.

Basketball - girls netball in the UK.

Ice hockey - girls hockey in the UK (or even worse shinty).

Baseball - girls rounders in the UK.

Mind you, only played hockey once - boys vs. girls at school (about 13-14 years old) - the whistle went, five seconds later every boy was on the ground crippled!!.

were you a cripple :p

When I played hockey, I would slam into people as hard as possible :D

One time I somehow made a outlet shorted out by dropping the stick onto the outlet HARD. Flames were shooting out of it (not kidding, completely real story) and everybody had to leave the gym until they could shut down the power to it. the entire school smelled like burnt something :D

When the weather was too bad to play rugby (which meant we might damage the pitch!) we used to play 'killer ball' in the gym. You played with a medicine ball, with wooden benches either side of the gym as goals - to score a goal you had to place the ball on your opponents bench.

There were two rules, and two rules only!

1) You can't bite.

2) You can't kick.

That was it! - nice hard wooden gym, wearing just a tee shirt and shorts! - damn good fun though! :D

Nigel Goodwin said:
When the weather was too bad to play rugby (which meant we might damage the pitch!) we used to play 'killer ball' in the gym. You played with a medicine ball, with wooden benches either side of the gym as goals - to score a goal you had to place the ball on your opponents bench.

1) You can't bite.

2) You can't kick.

That was it! - nice hard wooden gym, wearing just a tee shirt and shorts! - damn good fun though! :D

Honestly, in today's schools in the United States I have a feeling that would end in suspensions/expulsions, along with plenty of law suits...

Sounds like a ton of fun though. I usually play tactical games at home in the woods. 2v2 capture the flag in 100 acres of woods is a ton of fun.

Krumlink said:
they can generate up to 800lbs of force mathematically.

What?
How do you generate force mathematically?
Can you show us some calculations to justify this statement, or is it just a bunch of hyperbole and BS.
Sounds just like something off Discovery Channel.

JimB

JimB said:
What?
How do you generate force mathematically?
Can you show us some calculations to justify this statement, or is it just a bunch of hyperbole and BS.
Sounds just like something off Discovery Channel.

JimB

Hummm well velocity X mass, two large players colliding at full speed. Someone do the math and let us know... Seems 800# might be possible, maybe more :eek:

Lefty

theinfamousbob said:
Sounds like a ton of fun though. I usually play tactical games at home in the woods. 2v2 capture the flag in 100 acres of woods is a ton of fun.

Probably about 18 or 19 years old?, me and a friend used to do "paint balling" (back before it existed) - but we used to use air guns!. Those lead pellets don't half sting on the back of a bare hand! :p

No protection at all, luckily we never shot each other in the face!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Probably about 18 or 19 years old?, me and a friend used to do "paint balling" (back before it existed) - but we used to use air guns!. Those lead pellets don't half sting on the back of a bare hand! :p

No protection at all, luckily we never shot each other in the face!.

We use airsoft guns that fire .12g plastic BBs. Parents don't want washable paint on the trees... and we range from 14-18 years old. The younger siblings want to play, too... :rolleyes:

Leftyretro said:
Hummm well velocity X mass,

Velocity x Mass = Momentum

Momentum is not a force.

Please try harder.

JimB

Nigel Goodwin said:

1) You can't bite.

2) You can't kick.

We used to play a similar game at scouts, exept we called it murder ball and we used mats for goals and it was played in a nice and cold scout hut with a concrete floor.

JimB said:
Velocity x Mass = Momentum

Momentum is not a force.

Please try harder.

JimB

But force is defined as the rate of change of momentum.

F = dp/dt

In ice hockey, high speeds result in high momentums and a collision with a wall is an event with a very small dt. Plug in the numbers and the amount of force involved in such a collision can be multiple hundreds of pounds (pound force).

Were you trying to be smug on purpose?

Last edited:
Right now, two American teams are battling for the Stanley Cup. Quit complaining and enjoy the game! American hockey broadcasts also have the puck line on the screen, so you can follow the game easier. Most commercials are American products and services. The last all-Canadian Stanley Cup finals were in 1989 ( Calgary and Montreal, Calgary won in 6).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back