Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

This was an interesting read for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVAC Tech

I know that for the most part it isn't a good idea to bring up the topic of religion, but there was a song that was popular about a month ago called "take me to church" and I wanted to know what the artist was trying to say in the song. So I googled the lyrics and my search brought me to a religious blog. The blogs owner attempted to explain what he thought the lyrics were about and then I started reading the comments from visitors. That is when I became glued to my phone and couldn't stop reading. You see I wasn't brought up in a religious home and to this day I'm pretty much still trying to figure out things in my head. I really got a lot out of it and thought if somebody else wanted to check out the blog I would post the link. If this kind of stuff is not interesting to you then please ignore this thread. I'm not trying to spark any arguments or upset anybody. I just found it very interesting to read. https://taylormarshall.com/2014/12/...ian-analysis-critique.html#comment-1875534120

Have not heard of the song. Don't intend to listen to it.

1. "The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance".*

2. Faith is a choice made possible by Freedom. There are those among us who would remove that choice.

3. Refer to #1.

* Attributed to many, but its inherit truth cannot be denied.

Thanks, HVAC Tech.

You see I wasn't brought up in a religious home and to this day I'm pretty much still trying to figure out things in my head.
I agree it is bad news to bring up the subject of Religion, but if you just want an alternative perspective I suggest you read the writings of Christopher Hitchins, Richard Dawkins and George H. Smith.
Also Dr Neal Degrasse Tyson has an interesting show in Cosmos.
Max.

Last edited:
In my opinion, that's a great song. Beautiful melody, great expression in the singing and good poetry.
The bridge in the middle is a particularly haunting melody.

Effective writing often uses metaphor, and the phrase "take me to church" has morphed into an idiom that need not be taken literally to convey a message.

Trying to have a religious conversation within the context of this song is misguided.

By the way Jasmine Thompson does a great cover of this song if you want to hear how a woman (actually a very young woman) interprets the song.

Last edited:
I agree it is bad news to bring up the subject of Religion, but if you just want an alternative perspective I suggest you read the writings of Christopher Hitchins, Richard Dawkins and George H. Smith.
Also Dr Neal Degrasse Tyson has an interseting show in Cosmos.
Max.

Well I'll go one step further and explain that the comments to the original blog about the song erupted into a "why are you here if you don't think like we think" argument. I was amazed at how viscous people got at this one person simply because he stated that he was an Atheist. I continued to read this long conversation and was very impressed at how this person handled the attack. Like I stated before, I'm not trying to stir things up, but wanted to share the read with anyone interested. Peace and Love
Brandon

why are you here if you don't think like we think
Truth stands against critics.
Untruth is scared of critics.

To find truth, first study what you think is wrong. You might be surprised what you will find.
Question what you think is right. Being wrong and not knowing it is a very bad place.
Be very skeptical of those that think they have all the truth.
If you really are looking for religion, look in more than one place.

In my opinion, that's a great song. Beautiful melody, great expression in the singing and good poetry.
The bridge in the middle is a particularly haunting melody.

Effective writing often uses metaphor, and the phrase "take me to church" has morphed into an idiom that need not be taken literally to convey a message.

Trying to have a religious conversation within the context of this song is misguided.

By the way Jasmine Thompson does a great cover of this song if you want to hear how a woman (actually a very young woman) interprets the song.

I agree that the song is definitely written very well.
The girl in video you posted indeed does have a good voice, unfortunately it doesn't even come close in my opinion to the original song.
Like I said in my original post I was wanting to know what the song was written about. I think if I would have fine tuned my search terms I could have found the artists interpretation of the song.
With all that being said, I appreciate everybody's input. I enjoy hearing what others have to say.

The girl in video you posted indeed does have a good voice, unfortunately it doesn't even come close in my opinion to the original song.
I agree. The original is truly inspired, which is why so many people cover the song. Also, given the subject matter of the song, it's not possible for a 14 year old girl to have the life experience necessary to fully express the song in a way that the original was done.

I agree. The original is truly inspired, which is why so many people cover the song. Also, given the subject matter of the song, it's not possible for a 14 year old girl to have the life experience necessary to fully express the song in a way that the original was done.
I think we are on the same page here. :)

This leads for the worse or better part the statical analysis of people and their personal opinions. The posts are a small sample of the song and with a small sample you get and unknown result. Since I was raised and have done much on the idea of religion have been able to come to a balance of information and mis-information.

The girl did and excellent job with the song and in context I agree with Steve. Art is by interpretation and can be done in many different ways. Some artist will won't disclose it and if pushed to do it; would never disclose it. Especially, if it's personal which you might get the explanation of the song not even close to what you thought it was; skewing it completely.

Thanks, Steve for that very impressive artist.

kv

To quote a certain person.............. " Ah yes Religion, the science of the stupid".
It wouldnt be so bad if wasnt for the number of people killed for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back